BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got my new E46 and the H/K sucks. The thing is I don't have problem with the basses, but the highs are totally not there. Is there easy way to boost the mid- to high range without spending a fortune?

I can't replace the head unit cause I have Nav - and I don't want to anyway. What's the best way to go? Will replacing some speakers help?
Thnx

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can try replacing the speakers with something like MBQuarts. They're known for having relatively bright tweeters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drgalleg said:
You can try replacing the speakers with something like MBQuarts. They're known for having relatively bright tweeters.
But how do I know if it's the speakers or the amp or the HU?
I don't want to spend $xxx and find out it made no difference

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, you did ask for an easy way...

st_o_p said:

But how do I know if it's the speakers or the amp or the HU?
I don't want to spend $xxx and find out it made no difference
Well, in your first post, you mentioned you were against replacing the HU - I'm just going off of what your requirements were.

You could replace the amp, and keep the speakers, but I believe you'd have to get a multi-channel amp that would drive your interiors and stock sub. You'd have to interface this amp with the stock headunit, so that'd be an additional complexity.

So IMO, replacing the speakers would be the "easier" way to go given what you want to keep, and without really breaking the bank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drgalleg, thanks for the info.

One more question though: when you say replace the speakers, do you mean that I have to replace all of them?

I mean I only have problem with the high range - will replacing only the small tweeters help? From the 12 H/K speakers, the 2 subs are NP; I presume that of the other 10 speakers some are dedicated mid-range and some are for the highs (like 3-way home speaker has actually separate lows, mids and highs). I guess my question is - are there dedicated speakers for the highs?

Also, is it possible that it is the crossover frequency - that the highs are cut before the sound gets to the speakers? Can this be programmed/adjusted somehow?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can probably get away with replacing the three way components in the doors (you're in a coupe, right?). You can leave the rear 6.5's and subs as they are.

I believe the HK's have a three way 5.25" component set in the doors, a two way 6.5" component set in the rears, and 6x9 subs.

The goofy part is each pair of speakers and subs take their crossovers from the amplifier, I don't think the components have thier own passive crossovers. So no, using the stock amp, you can't switch the crossover points.

If you replace the front components and use them w/ the stock amp, make sure the installer knows this so that they know what to do w/ the passive crossovers that come w/ the new components (most likely won't have to use them).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts