BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eas | MYCARR Angel Eyes FAQ - What you need to know before purchasing (CCFL & LED)

A lot of confusion has been presented on Angel Eyes lately on what kit to get, what technology is better, best vendor, etc. we're hoping to better answer some questions informing you the customer 100% before making a purchase.

We have been getting a lot of inquiries on the specific differences between the kits. This is meant for informative proposes only showing a pictorial comparison of the details.

Most Angel eyes on the market are manufactured by MYCARR and RaceDash, 2 manufacturers based in Taiwan. For this FAQ, we'll concentrate on the MYCARR versions which cover most BMWs on the market.

CCFL Angel Eyes:

Here are the MYCARR and Chromium Angel Eyes showing the box contents. MYCARR Angel Eyes do not come with a wiring harness from factory, this is added in before shipping. Both kits offer a "remote feature" which allow the Angel Eyes to fade on/off with a press of the key remote.

For this image, we are using the umnitza ballast, which is the same as the ones included in the MYCARR kits.

Closeup shot of the ring backing, MYCARR on the left, unmitza on the right. The MYCARR units use an opaque design instead to prevent light bleeding on the back of the ring, and direct the lighting forward for maximum visibility.

Notice the casting tabs are in the exact same location on both rings. Ring mounting clips are also identical.

Comparison of MYCARR on the right and chromiums on the left. We choose a black background to show the rear light bleedoff from the rear. There is a tiny bit of difference between the two since the umnitza versions use the chrome sticker on the rear, but very minimal compared to the MYCARR brand. For forward visibility, there is 0 difference.

Comparison shot of MYCARR on left and chromium on right. This is to show rear light bleedoff.

And of course - the finished shot:

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
MYCARR LED Angel Eyes

LED Angel Eyes

The LED Angel Eye kits are the newest kit from MYCARR. Instead of using inverters and CCFL tubes, the inverters are discarded and light is emitted through an array of 30 LEDs on each Angel Eye ring. This simplifies the kit since there are less parts and eliminates the "cold start" issues that has plagued those in colder climates. The same wiring harness is used for both kits.

Predator Chromium on left, MYCARR LED on right - powered down

Predator Chromium on left, MYCARR LED on right - 100% power

Predator Chromium on left, MYCARR LED on right - 100% power (alternate shot)

Predator Chromium on left, MYCARR LED on right - 100% power (left angled shot)

Predator Chromium on left, MYCARR LED on right - 100% power (right angled shot)

MYCARR LED ring closeup - powered down to show LED array

MYCARR LED ring closeup - powered up to show lit LED array

Chromium/MYCARR LED mounting clip comparison

The clipping mechanism is the most interesting as this was a product that was in the "design process" for over a year - yet was not corrected. Both CCFL and LED kits share the exact ring which has remained unchanged for over 4 years as evidenced by the clips and casting tabs. This means that the inside clip will still need to be clipped halfway on the headlamps as required in prior versions. Also in this photo, you'll notice the power/ground wires on the LED kits both enter on the left hand side of the ring, this is the same with the Orion brand.

Installed photos

MYCARR LED on left, Predator Chromium on right installed on MY02 M3

MYCARR LEDs powered down. Lens cover and corner are removed for pictures and to reduce camera glare.

MYCARR LED on left, Predator Chromium on right - 75% power

MYCARR LED on left, Predator Chromium on right - full power

MYCARR LED on left, Predator Chromium on right - Distant shot to show brightness and uniformity

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Angel Eye FAQ - CCFL vs LED

For the most frequently asked questions, we have provided a FAQ to better inform you before making a purchase.

Angel Eye FAQ (CCFL):

What are the differences between the MYCARR CCFL Angel Eyes and Predator Chromiums?
Price - as both kits are manufactured by MYCARR. There is no difference other than the Chromiums use a chrome backing to reduce light bleedoff while the MYCARR branded boxes use an opaque backing. Both kits offer a lifetime warranty.

Is one Angel Eye brand kit (CCFL) noticeably brighter than the other?
No. both kits are manufactured by MYCARR, they are the same other than packaging and the chrome vs. opaque backing. After installation, it is impossible to spot any differences.

I often hear the MYCARRs referred to as "generic" - is this true?
Absolutely not as seen by the comparison. These are the same product from the original manufacturer. We do not rebox the kit can call it something else.

What about UV coating? The Chromiums state this as a feature?
UV coating is not a "feature" and is part of the polycarbonate material that is used to manufacture the ring - the same material as the MYCARR brand. More information on polycarbonate can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

Are your inverters different then Chromiums?
No - the inverters used are unbranded from MYCARR.

What are the differences between the MYCARR and Predator wiring harnesses?
MYCARR does not manufacture a wiring harness. We include a wiring harness with all kits before shipping that features a heavy duty 30A relay, power/ground leads and terminal connectors - the exact harness found in the Chromiums. Both brand harnesses also have the "remote feature" while allow the Angel Eyes to fade on/off with the key remote.

Do you offer a Lifetime warranty on the MYCARR CCFL kits?
Yes - we match the competition by offering a no-hassle lifetime warranty on all MYCARR Angel Eye kits.

Angel Eye FAQ (LED):

What are the differences between the MYCARR LED Angel Eyes and Predator Orions?
None - as both kits are manufactured by MYCARR. There is no difference other than the Orions feature a chrome backing - which is pointless for 2 reasons:

1 - LEDs are directional and will emit light facing forward
2 - Even if bleeding was possible, the circuit board the LEDs are mounted to would prevent any light bleed. Both kits offer a lifetime warranty.

What are the differences between the mounting clips on the MYCARR LED Angel Eyes and Predator Orions?
None, the rings have remained unchanged since the beginning. If these were indeed "redesigned", this would have been taken care of from the start.

I often hear the MYCARRs referred to as "generic" - is this true?
Absolutely not as seen by the comparison. These are the same product from the original manufacturer. We do not rebox the kit can call it something else.

What about UV coating? The Orions state this as a feature?
As with the Chromiums and MYCARR CCFLs, UV coating is not a "feature" and is part of the polycarbonate material that is used to manufacture the ring - the same material as the MYCARR brand. More information on polycarbonate can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

The Orions state to have a "more finished" look - do yours?
This is more marketing hype. As of this post, we have seen no evidence to support this claim.

Can you state the similarities or differences between Orion and MYCARR?

Differences:

- Packaging: The Orions are reboxed, the MYCARRs will come in their original boxes from MYCARR
- Backing: The Orions have a chrome backing, which serve no purpose in a LED environment. The MYCARRs have a white coating on the rear of the circuit board. No bleeding or "fisheye" effect is seen after installation.

Similarities:

- Both kits are manufactured by MYCARR.
- Both kits have use the same mounting clips.
- Both kits feature a 30 LED array in each ring.
- Both kits use the same Angel Eye ring as the CCFL versions.
- Both kits have power/ground wires entering on the left side of the ring.
- Both kits include a heavy duty wiring harness, with remote feature.
- Both kits offer a lifetime warranty.

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MYCARR CCFL & LED Angel Eye Video Demostration

MYCARR CCFL Angel Eyes:

Here's a short video of the kit in action showing the remote feature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_D8xwuhs4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0VNj1WRCk

MYCARR LED Angel Eyes:

Below will show videos of the MYCARR LED Angel Eye Kit in action along with a comparison of the MYCARR LEDs vs. Predator Chromiums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VB02B6_XOwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibBCPJXWeG4

This should put any future comparisons to rest as the products are 99% the same. This now levels the playing field and forces vendors to work on merit & customer service rather than claiming a "niche" product as evidenced in the past.

In the end, we've at least seen better pricing from the competition since our introduction on these products since there is no longer a monopoly in the lighting market, making it a win/win situation for all.

This will continue to change.

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome post! very informational and non biased.
Exactly - this is not to make the claim that one kit is any better than the other, only that they are the same.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It’s funny how you compare your Mycarr and Umnitza product. Umnitza has brought angel eyes (predators) to the public.
Now suddenly you got your hands on some and your are the best. They may be similar but not the same. Also it’s not nice to spam every post that someone makes about angel eyes with your crap.

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It***8217;s funny how you compare your Mycarr and Umnitza product. Umnitza has brought angel eyes (predators) to the public.
Now suddenly you got your hands on some and your are the best. They may be similar but not the same. Also it***8217;s not nice to spam every post that someone makes about angel eyes with your crap.
Please read post #6 again. If you would like a history lesson on angel eyes and who originally brought them to market, we can start that in a new thread.

·
Sh!t Happens.
4,557 Posts
Anything available for pre-facelift X5's yet?

Also, with my old Chrromiums, the rings started turning yellow, since LED's don't generate heat, the rings shouldn't turn yellow...right? :dunno:

Thanks again Tom. :thumbup:

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anything available for pre-facelift X5's yet?

Also, with my old Chrromiums, the rings started turning yellow, since LED's don't generate heat, the rings shouldn't turn yellow...right? :dunno:

Thanks again Tom. :thumbup:
These are compatible with your prefacelift X5 - since you already have the Chromiums, half the work is already completed.

All you will need is an upgrade kit to connect to your existing harness.

·
Sh!t Happens.
4,557 Posts
These are compatible with your prefacelift X5 - since you already have the Chromiums, half the work is already completed.

All you will need is an upgrade kit to connect to your existing harness.
Any input on the yellowing?

I originally bought the Chromiums from Jlevi, and they agreed to give me new rings as long as I send back my old rings. Which was fair, but then I'd have to bake open the headlights again and find another installer.

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any input on the yellowing?

I originally bought the Chromiums from Jlevi, and they agreed to give me new rings as long as I send back my old rings. Which was fair, but then I'd have to bake open the headlights again and find another installer.
None - the Chromiums are touted to have UV protection, however this is already a trait of the polycarb material used for the rings.

The rings shouldn't yellow from either brand, unless ring material has changed since when you originally purchased or extreme heat was experienced.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i dont deal enough with sponsors but i think this write up is amazing it answered all of my questions about the differences between the leds and ccfl. i just recently bought the predator chromiums from jlevi the customer service was fine no complaints i am just worried about my cold climate here in the midwest and this cold start i keep hearing about. anyways i love the write up so thanks for clearing alot my questions up

David

·
Registered
114 Posts
^:werd:
not trying to get caught up in the "East Coast" / "West Coast" battle of the sponsors, but this was a very informative post. Thank you for detailing that for us!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at your site i see the Angel Eyes (LED) for $119.00 then the upgrade for $89.00. Do you have to buy both? or can you just buy the upgrade and the other accessories you will need separately. Thanks.

·
european auto source
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Looking at your site i see the Angel Eyes (LED) for $119.00 then the upgrade for $89.00. Do you have to buy both? or can you just buy the upgrade and the other accessories you will need separately. Thanks.
The Complete kit will include the wiring harness and (4) Angel Eye rings, the upgrade assumes you have a pre-existing wiring harness, or are building your own. :)

1 - 20 of 154 Posts