E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have insight as to why a LC2 LCM would literally burn up?

I bought this 2007 530xi a week ago:

I checked it out with my Snapon Ethos and it was all clear with the exception of high and low beam passenger headlight.
I drove it off and on until Monday and Tuesday when I drove it back and forth to work 30 miles each way.
I came home for a few hours on Tuesday, but was called out on an emergency job at 2130. I openedvthe door on the car and something had clearly and pungently let out some magic smoke. Upon starting, I had an entire Christmss light show of errors...and no outside lights and no canbus connection to the LCM.
Pulled the LCM this morning:

I ordered two used LC2 LCMs, one being the latest Rev I could find documented, but befor I install and code anything in,I want to make sure something else isnt causing this problem.

Anyone had or seen this issue before?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...first thing. Pull your headlights and check all the module connections. I found that the RH SMC had water intrusion.
Also, the PO had installed LED bulbs in the halos and the driver had a wire pulled out. I went through the entire car and found several LED bulb replacements.
The car isn't designed to use LEDs except where installed by the factory. The car has PWM control over every bulb.
I bought 2 LM2 units and both work the same when installed.
I'm to the point of changing the VIN for my final tests and full time operation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To close this thread, it is repaired. In my many attempts at learning NCS Expert, I had coded both LM2 modules. I had a problem that I mistakenly thought was programming...was actually electrical. The 40A (F5) fuse was blown. I replaced it and all was well.

So to recap: PO installed LEDs. A wire pulled out of the halo LED driver and must have shorted and burned up the LCM.

Secondary issue directly contributing: water intrusion in the RH AHL module causing a fuse to blow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI: A detail noone has mentioned in all the forums I have read...

When a fuse blows for the outside lights, the car defaults to a sort of cris-cross patern for the lights. EG: LF turn indicator and RR turn indicator demonstrates that the F5 fuse is blown. The RF and LR demonstrates F4 is blown.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts