E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I feel pretty stupid even posting this but here it goes. I consider myself a fairly competent DIYer. I've been doing my own work almost as long as I've been driving. All my previous experience however has been on domestic vehicles, this is my first BMW. I am working through the inspection list at 100,000 miles. As this is the recommended mileage for spark plugs I began the process and almost instantly second guessed my choice. After removing all covers, coil, etc. for the first plug I grabbed my plug wrench and began to turn. Here is where the questions arise, the torque spec is 18 lb/ft. When I began to loosen the plug it seemed much tighter than I expected, and after about a half turn felt as though it was still snug, at this point I resnugged the plug and stopped. It felt as though the threads were galded/damaged. This is my first experience with an aluminium head as well, is this normal? I am concerened about removing the threads from the head with the plug and ruining the head. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I start with a warm engine and try again? Should I leave this to a dealer and just pay the high price and let them have the responsibility of dealing with it? I hate to pay anyone to work on my vehicles but I would hate replacing a head worse. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Two things come to mind:

1.) Loosening torque will often be higher than tightening torque.

2.) You're only delaying the inevitable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They are no longer really "torqued" in, they are corroded and rusted a bit. Use a good deep socket, on square, and loosen, it will be fine. You will have to turn really hard.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Go for it. I done my sparks recently, piece of piss.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
"Go for it. I done my sparks recently, piece of piss."

Gotta love the British, they really have a method with this. Short yet Elegant.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
^^That is a hilarious post. No advice just a declaration. Haha. I would have prefered something like:

-give her some willey
-harder, like yer missus likes it
-something about polishing a knob
-now if you have that problem with a buttplug. . .
-something about having sex with a chavy horse
-tosser, wanker, muppet, etc.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
^^That is a hilarious post. No advice just a declaration. Haha. I would have prefered something like:

-give her some willey
-harder, like yer missus likes it
-something about polishing a knob
-now if you have that problem with a buttplug. . .
-something about having sex with a chavy horse
-tosser, wanker, muppet, etc.

ooooww ... that hurt me

·
Registered
83 Posts
Use a plug socket, they all have rubber to hold the plug. Dropping them 8 inches in there is not good for the end of the plug, and not good for knocking crap into the cylinder. Less than $5 at most auto parts stores, Sears, anywhere.

Getting the plugs out is a pain, but getting them in is even more fun if your spark plug socket doesn't hold your damn plugs in snug! Piece of crap...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Like I said this is my first experience with an aluminum head and the last thing I wanted to do is remove the threads with the plug. If this resistance is "normal" perhaps I'll shoot it with a little PB Blaster and work it back and forth a bit and see what happens. But first I'm going to finish replacing my inner cv boot so the car is on a level footing and easier to reach. Any further advice is appreciated, and thanks again.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Use a plug socket, they all have rubber to hold the plug. Dropping them 8 inches in there is not good for the end of the plug, and not good for knocking crap into the cylinder. Less than $5 at most auto parts stores, Sears, anywhere.
Didn't read my post too well, did ya?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Getting testy I see, I read your post, no problem.

Please, let me be more clear.

Plug sockets hold plugs, that's what they do.

If your does not, why are you using it? You like dropping plugs?

Aside from driving to your house and unscrewing the plugs for you, just follow the advise above and be done with it.

Didn't read my post too well, did ya?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,983 Posts
OP,

I don't know what tool you're using on your socket, but I use a 14" 1/2" breaker bar to break the seal and then just go to 3/8" ratchet. Also, using more torque gives you better feel and ability to hold the socket square. Don't mean to condescend, but I don't know what you know.

Last time I removed some, I'd guess I needed close to 75 lb-ft to break loose...maybe I'm just a weakling!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts