BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e46 was written off last week and I need a new car :(

I'm trying to get something that's a little smaller and more fuel efficient and was looking at the 1 series in 118i or 120i, around 05-07 and the MY07 update.

One of my mechanic friends tells me that these 1 series are shocking and will end up costing me thousands due to oil leaks, water pumps etc and recommends me getting something Japanese.

So I'm wondering if anybody has a 1 series and whether it's been reliable or whether it's just cost you money. Would you recommend getting one? or do you think I should look at something like a Lancer :bawling:

·
Registered
209 Posts
My e46 was written off last week and I need a new car :(

I'm trying to get something that's a little smaller and more fuel efficient and was looking at the 1 series in 118i or 120i, around 05-07 and the MY07 update.

One of my mechanic friends tells me that these 1 series are shocking and will end up costing me thousands due to oil leaks, water pumps etc and recommends me getting something Japanese.

So I'm wondering if anybody has a 1 series and whether it's been reliable or whether it's just cost you money. Would you recommend getting one? or do you think I should look at something like a Lancer :bawling:
Small engine bm's are exactly that underpowered , I'd say go diesel more than quick enough . A 150 bhp is only 40 odd lbs behind an M3 and easily played with if you want more go all with 40 to 50 mpg .

·
Registered
624 Posts
1 series are mechanically identical to the 3 series, just shrunken down slightly. I've heard that they're very reliable, but I can only speak for the NA Petrol 6 cylinder ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts