E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, was about to change the thermostat and water pump. Got a surprise when I took out the water pump, the steel part of the impeller was shred into pieces, and the housing got some beating too. Any ideas if i just leave the housing as it is and install the new pump or do something about it. Going to attach some pictures.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Holy shit. I have replaced a LOT of those water pumps over the past 25 years. Never saw one like that. The "housing" you are talking about is actually the timing chain cover. The surface behind the impeller is the engine block. I would try to get out as much of the metal bits as possible. You probably have impeller chunks and bearing rollers in the block. Get a flexible magnetic retrieval tool and try to fish out as much as possible. The damage to the cover and block doesn't look that bad. Should be fine with a new pump. Removing the timing cover requires removing the oil pan or cylinder head so try it and hope for the best.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,354 Posts
The above demonstrates the reason I hate water pumps with metal impellers.
A nylon one would have broken up (could lead to FOD, Foreign Object Damage, an old fighter jet technician's term) but not chewed up the front timing cover.

Honestly I've seen worse. You might want to try it, keep a CLOSE eye on any oil/coolant mixing. If it's okay, move on.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Hello, was about to change the thermostat and water pump. Got a surprise when I took out the water pump,
Why? Because the coolant temp gauge was going high? Did you hear any new noise? I can't believe if the damaged pump didn't cause overheating issue but OP never mentioned this.

What can cause this impeller to mangle up like this? Either it hit some hard object stuck in the timing cover, or the pump bearing was loose causing the impeller to wobble and hit the timing cover.
OP, can you wiggle the pump shaft radially and axially?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Why? Because the coolant temp gauge was going high? Did you hear any new noise? I can't believe if the damaged pump didn't cause overheating issue but OP never mentioned this.

What can cause this impeller to mangle up like this? Either it hit some hard object stuck in the timing cover, or the pump bearing was loose causing the impeller to wobble and hit the timing cover.
I'd guess the bearings failed to the point that the rollers came out. There is no way this thing wasn't noisy.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
352 Posts
How the fack? That sucks, but how did you not hear that thing starting to go? I've probably changed 20 some mechanical water pumps on various cars and trucks. I've always caught every one before they seize up. They always start making noise, like a clanking/tapping from the side to side the shaft starts to do when they fail.

I would be so paranoid putting that back together because there's got to be pieces in there. Those pieces will block passages and end up breaking the next pump.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,171 Posts
I think that's how that orifice is supposed to look like. That's how I remember it, anyway. Just shoddy casting. Your water pump, while chewed up hasn't changed its reach depth.

And I agree, these stamped impellers are garbage. Shit bearings, shit impeller, all around shitty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Nah, have had the Activation MAP Cooling code for the past month read about it and found that it is most probably the thermostat. Ordered new thermostat and thought why not to change the water pump at the same time. The thing is I didn't even notice any rattling sound or anything, no overheating problems either (actually a couple days ago the temp gauge would drop while i was driving, and come back to normal temp while standing still. Haven't driven since i noticed the temp gauge dropping). So it was just coincidence that I found water pump like this. The only unusual sound I could hear from the engine room was whistling sound near DISA valve, but can't think of this has anything to do with water pump.

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,862 Posts
So, you were running a bit hot?

I have always heard that the metal impeller was preferred over the plastic ones.
By "a bit hot" I meant 98-99C instead of the low to mid 90s I was used to with my previous car.
That didn't change after replacing the water pump. Found out later it was entirely due to the thermostat.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Ya know, a bearing can just fail all of a sudden.
Jus sayin.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
no overheating problems either (actually a couple days ago the temp gauge would drop while i was driving, and come back to normal temp while standing still.
This is a miracle!!! How could this mangled up impeller can move coolant to the radiator, and even moved coolant more effective than any norm impeller? I should copy and patent this new impeller shape design.

Who can explain why engine was not overheated?

BTW, look at the pump O-ring seal: seems like coolant was leaking around it for a long time. OP, do you have to top off coolant often?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The stuck open thermostat probably helped it stay cool with whatever little flow that pump produced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a miracle!!! How could this mangled up impeller can move coolant to the radiator, and even moved coolant more effective than any norm impeller? I should copy and patent this new impeller shape design.

Who can explain why engine was not overheated?

BTW, look at the pump O-ring seal: seems like coolant was leaking around it for a long time. OP, do you have to top off coolant often?
Yeah, have had some coolant leaks here and there. They weren’t too bad, the worst one was from the expansion tank, but have filled about 1.5-2 liters in 2000 kilometers

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Nobody knows, nobody, how long it was in that state. It could have been 90% with one of the impellers hanging on? Then the bearing let go and what you see happened inside of 60 seconds?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts