BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys. As some of you know in the near future I will be on the hunt for a new ///M... Sooo I wanted your guys opinions

I'm looking at the new E9x M3's and The E46 M3's.

I am definetly more a fan of the E46 M3, but Since its really hard to find a single owner Blk/Blk 6spd E46 M3 the thought of buying an E9X M3 came into my head... For numerous reasons.

1. Newer.
2. Sportier design
3. Easier to find a single owner.
4. Faster.
5. Lower Miles.

What would you guys choose and why...? In this situation lets just say price doesnt matter... Because If you had the money what would you get?

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
e90 m3 Four doors FTMFW!

Lets face it, the e46 is 3 body styles old already. Unless you're going in the route of hpf, the new m3 is just plain awesome.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ding Ding Ding. Thats Mainly Why I Want An E46 M3. And I really dont find the E46 M3 dated at all :hmm: With a few touches here and there... I'd rather drive an E46 M Oh and mods are alot cheaper on the E46 M

·
Registered
666 Posts
the classic style of the E46 never grows old!:thumbup:

·
Registered
937 Posts
IMO, E92. The E46 is getting so cheap that the demographics of the owners is changing significantly. That's not necessarily a good thing.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yeah but the body style looks so beautiful.... :drool:
IMO, every generation M3 looks great. However, if I were buying today, it would not be an E46 since slightly used E92's are obtainable for some insane prices. I love my E46, but the E92 was not around all those year ago when I was shopping.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True, I mean I can get an 08,09 M3 coupe 6spd with about 15k miles for about $45k

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was just in the market for a new BMW. I current own an E46 M3 but wanted something newer and more modern. I looked at the E92 M3 and they look to much like a family car. Sad but true so that went out the window so I went with a Z4M Coupe. Black on black. So glad I went that route.

I wont buy an E92 M3. They look to fat and heavy. Now keep in mind I am an NSX/Z4M (2 seater) sports car enthusiast so the larger family sedans dont do anything for me.

I say go for a 2006 E46 M3 and don't look back.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i was just in the market for a new bmw. I current own an e46 m3 but wanted something newer and more modern. I looked at the e92 m3 and they look to much like a family car. Sad but true so that went out the window so i went with a z4m coupe. Black on black. So glad i went that route.

I wont buy an e92 m3. They look to fat and heavy. Now keep in mind i am an nsx/z4m (2 seater) sports car enthusiast so the larger family sedans dont do anything for me.

I say go for a 2006 e46 m3 and don't look back.
+1000

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sup guys. As some of you know in the near future I will be on the hunt for a new ///M... Sooo I wanted your guys opinions

I'm looking at the new E9x M3's and The E46 M3's.

I am definetly more a fan of the E46 M3, but Since its really hard to find a single owner Blk/Blk 6spd E46 M3 the thought of buying an E9X M3 came into my head... For numerous reasons.

1. Newer.
2. Sportier design
3. Easier to find a single owner.
4. Faster.
5. Lower Miles.

What would you guys choose and why...? In this situation lets just say price doesnt matter... Because If you had the money what would you get?
You're only listing pro's lets see some cons!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The e9x is a fun car to drive and doesn't feel heavy in the least bit. I'm not crazy about the handling but it's something one needs to get used to.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem is like i said finding a single owner 06 blk/blk m3! and if i do find it its smg!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The problem is like i said finding a single owner 06 blk/blk m3! and if i do find it its smg!
Single owner isn't that important, unless it had multiple owners in a short time span I wouldn't worry about it. 2 owners for an 06 sounds very reasonable, 3 would be a bit much. It's more about maintenenace history and overall condition of the car. You're buying the car to drive it, not to look at the carfax report.;) That said, be patient they are out there. I bought my 02 this year from the original owner, so if I can find an 02 with one owner, then I'm sure you can find an 06 with one. Finding the right car took me over 3 months, because I was pretty picky when it came to colors(I actually found cars with 2/3 owners that I would have bought but the price was more than the car was worth to me). Black on black is more common so you shouldn't have a problem, just be patient.:thumbsup:

Oh and E46 > E92. E46 is just a timeless design, a bit more practical if you're daily driving it, and a much better bang for the buck at the moment. After market is also much larger and mods are a bit more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm not dailydriving The M. But I'm looking to go the Hpf route... But The look of the new E9X M is really pulling mee...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bro I sold my e46 m3 last April and I'm planing to buy another one in a few months...!!!! E46 is your choice!!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The E46 is an awsome design and timeless as is every M. However, it's old. It had the longest production dates of any of the M3s and will probably retain that title. I saw someone posted about not enjoying the handling...WHAT? The handling is better on the E92 by far. I have PSS10s, 275/245, and sways on the E46 and still enjoy the stock handling on the the E92 by far. I do have EDC and I don't know how much of a diff that makes. The style will grow on you. Especially after a few mods. Mod prices will come down. There will be more mods down the road. They are far more powerful. And lets face it...they are becoming a dime a dozen. I see at least five everyday. Very few I see are stock. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving a euro mustang or G35. I never feel that way when I'm in the E92 M. None the less I love both and will never sell either. But when the F30 M comes out I will get one too. I would get the newest model everytime if I had to choose one. I say get both (especially if you can get a slightly used one for 45k in your area? really?).

Pros:

-Power
-Handling/EDC
-Newer
-Warranty (over 46, in most cases)
-Rarely seen
-Something different/very first V8 design, something that may not happen again for a very long time
-Better looking interior
-Better lighting
-Better stereo/displays
-Huge trunk
-Larger interior
-Double clutch
-Seatbelt handler thing
-The wife says its to touchy

Cons:

-Cupholder placement
-Heavier/but its all down low-CF roof/alloy hood and trunk
-The wife says its to touchy