E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning a 99 328i sedan. Now i have sold the car and I am looking at an e46 m3 will it feel the same as my 328i? I need some opinions.

·
Registered
464 Posts
of course the m3 doesnt feel like an 328i. are you crazy?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I might get flamed for saying this......

I own an 02 325xi and an 02 M3.

Honestly, for a daily driver I enjoy the 325xi better. It seems much more quiet and well mannered. Less rattles and vibrations.

I know I sound old right? I'm only 36yo and also have a pristine E30 M3, so I do know how an M car should feel. I love the rawness of a proper M car and on summer Fridays or weekends the E46 M3 is a great car for sure...fun lively and raw. But do I want that as a daily commuter / baby hauler / grocery getter.....not really. The 325 works great for that and still manages 25 to 28 mpg.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I should hope not. More ponies, tighter suspension, better handling, nicer interior,... at least I hope it does (M3 that is! :)) I'll be looking this Spring!

·
Banned
961 Posts
Your badge on the trunk is also different, if you get a "M3" the badge only has 2 digits, but if you have a "328i", it has 4 digits, so the extra 2 digits make a difference in the cars weight, by getting a M3, the car is much lighter therefore is faster!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've owned a 325i for 5 years, and 2 m3's now. Mark is right, the 3 series is a much nicer everyday driver, it's better mannered. I just sold my 325i so I could pay off the m3, I wish I could have kept it for a DD BUT, I LOVE the m3, it's an amazing car in every respect. It's very similar to the 3 series, obviously the interior is the same and what not, it's just faster, harder riding, and gets way more looks :thumbsup:

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,331 Posts
I might get flamed for saying this......

I own an 02 325xi and an 02 M3.

Honestly, for a daily driver I enjoy the 325xi better. It seems much more quiet and well mannered. Less rattles and vibrations.

I know I sound old right? I'm only 36yo and also have a pristine E30 M3, so I do know how an M car should feel. I love the rawness of a proper M car and on summer Fridays or weekends the E46 M3 is a great car for sure...fun lively and raw. But do I want that as a daily commuter / baby hauler / grocery getter.....not really. The 325 works great for that and still manages 25 to 28 mpg.

this is so true, I can also add that once you get into a e92/e90, the boutique feeling of the e46 kinda fizzles away with the new colder interior and seat belt giving things and no rear window control(coupes)

but its feels just the same as going from a m3 to a non M, when you go from e46 to e90/92. just all around more solid feel, more daily-able and not too ruff for the kids.

way different power band also. as the non m picks up early as sort of falls off the top, that when the m3 gets going.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Your badge on the trunk is also different, if you get a "M3" the badge only has 2 digits, but if you have a "328i", it has 4 digits, so the extra 2 digits make a difference in the cars weight, by getting a M3, the car is much lighter therefore is faster!
That's why the badge is on the right rear corner (along with the battery). It's there to compensate for the weight of the driver and keep the car's polar moment of inertia within acceptable specs.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,761 Posts
The M3 is much louder inside and pushes you more to drive it faster. You'll be shifting more and the power band much different.
As stated, the non-M is a calmer DD compared to the M. I love my M3, it was hard to go back and forth between my 323ci for 8 mos. Its a more raw animal compared to tame.

·
Registered
855 Posts
well I own both a 328Ci and an M3. if you are comparing stock cars, there is no comparison between an M3 and standard 328. M3>>>328... biggest difference m3 has far tighter handling and engine responsiveness. my 328 keeps up somewhat because its modified, but still doesnt have the throttle response of a stock m3. the only drawback is that the m3 gets worse gas mileage because its got a slightly bigger engine, and you tend to drive with a lead foot all the time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I feel like with an M I would burn through gas so damn quick living in the city. A reason I am scared to have it as my everyday summer spring car.

As you can tell I am not ballin if I worry about gas lmao...dont get me wrong next car will be an M or a 330/335 e9x

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an E46 M3. While it was in the shop for a full month getting its subframe fix done I was loaned an E9x (2009) 335i. The 335 had (I think) a twin turbo 330 hp 3.0L engine; it was pretty quick. It had an automatic transmission with steptronic paddle shifters on the wheel.

The paddles were lame with an automatic transmission, but that's a small issue.
The 335i was pretty fast, but the road awareness was distant compared to the M3. The M3, at least for me, is much more capable and much safer at energetic driving. The 335i was definitely a more comfortable car to drive while the M3 is a high performance car and much better in that respect. The M3 is lound and lumpy at regulated in-traffic driving, but when you stomp it and mash the car over that same road that was lumpy at "normal" speeds, the car gets on its haunches and squeezes grip to all those lumps while telling you what it's doing all the while.

The M3 sort of doesn't even work until you start slamming it around. But in that use it is joyous.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
After owning a 99 328i sedan. Now i have sold the car and I am looking at an e46 m3 will it feel the same as my 328i? I need some opinions.
Don't matter how it will feel. Can you handle the maintenance and insurance? That is all that matters.:tsk:

If you can...yes it is faster. Question answered.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I've driven, albeit never owned, quite a few E46 M3 vehicles and I've never been too impressed by the feel, yet most seem to fawn over them in a such a worshipping manner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts