BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 2003 330i zhp with 18' rims, current sizes 235/40-18 and 255/35/18. why i have 235's in the front, i dont remember. should i go back to 225's? also i currently have accelera phi's which arent amazing tires but im just a daily driver, no crazy gripping but i do enjoy hugging turns here n there and theyve been ok for that.

im not looking to spend a lot of money on tires, but im not looking to get the cheapest either. keep the acceleras or swap them out?

thanks

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,252 Posts
A tire thread is almost as bad as an oil thread. That said I'll offer some advice.

Avail yourself of a good chunk of time and spend a lot of time reading reviews (both the Company videos and the user) over at tirerack.com

You can select tires two ways at tire rack: Punch in your car and see the offerings.
Conversely you can manually enter the two different sizes and the list will populate differently. Use both.

As a generality I would suggest to buy the best tires your budget permits, supported by the reviews of longevity, dry & wet traction and braking.

Given that I started in this business at a tire store I feel that tires are one of the most important parts of the car. To wit: A new Michelin PSS replacing a worn Kumho is tantamount to a suspension upgrade.

Another thing, you get what you pay for. Most budget friendly tires feel great when new, however somewhere about the 50% wear area, they turn into a hydroplaning noisy piece of black rubber. Top tier Michelins and Continentals stay true right to the end. Naturally very worn tires hydroplane easier than new.

Avoid tires with large trapezoidal tread sections. Aggressive driving, lowered suspensions and bad wheel alignments tend to turn up the corners of these individual tread blocks. This in turn can emulate a wheel bearing going bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am currently running Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/45/17 summer tyres on all four corners and am very happy with the setup. Grippy enough for tight street handling and lively enough to kick out the rear with DSC/TC off if I want to. Good braking in the wet. Much better than the (insert dubious brand name here) ones I rode on before. Mind you, I haven't tried a lot of different tyres on the E46, so take this for what it's worth.

For the quality I'd say the price for these tyres is fair.

But of course your car has about twice the HP of mine, so what works for me may not work for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. In my research they are basically the best tires money can buy. ~$200/tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
@firehawk: The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres seem to be favoured by many. But they are also what I would consider pricey compared to what I have been satisfied with so far in my limited years of car ownership. How would you describe the improvement over other tyres you've tried?

·
Registered
143 Posts
@firehawk: The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres seem to be favoured by many. But they are also what I would consider pricey compared to what I have been satisfied with so far in my limited years of car ownership. How would you describe the improvement over other tyres you've tried?
I had some cheap ~$100/tire (can't remember brand, I think Kumho) and they were fine while they were new, but were noticeably horrible after about 6 months or a year when the tread started wearing off. Since then I've only bought the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (used the be called Michelin Pilot Super Sport)

·
Registered
589 Posts
IMO Tire threads should not be as bad as an oil thread because you actually can feel the difference.

Whoever said above that MP4S used to be called MPSS is not correct. MPS4S is based on and is a next gen tire off of MPSS.

I second and third the comments about the Michelin's Pilot Sport series. I have both MPSS ZP and MPS4S. If you're only driving Street, don't get ZPs (run flats) and the MPS4S is the more comfortable ride, has slightly better wet grip, and less road noise. If you like the MPS4S you can try the plain 4's (no S), very similar grip, just a little less sporty feeling, and slightly cheaper. They run at smaller sizes which should work here.

If you're track driving, I argue MPSS will feel more controlled. These are enough - don't think you need upgrade to Sport Cup2 at this hp.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am currently driving with Michelin Pilot Sport 3, 225/40/18 + 255/35/18 in my E46 coupe.
i like those very much. Highly recommended. PS4 is the new model.
If you have same style wheels as in my car, Style 135. Buy correct size, not 235 or anything.

Tyres are the one thing you should not save money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
thanks for the recommendations, i used tirerack.com to find the tires.
What tires did you end up buying?

Recently had some Firestone Indy 500 tires installed. These replaced some numb steering all season Kumho tires. Too early to tell on longevity since it's been only 300 miles, but the tires provide good steering feedback, low noise and a good ride. This car sees no track, auto-x or snow, just daily round town occasional spirited driving and these fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
589 Posts
What tires did you end up buying?

Recently had some Firestone Indy 500 tires installed. These replaced some numb steering all season Kumho tires. Too early to tell on longevity since it's been only 300 miles, but the tires provide good steering feedback, low noise and a good ride. This car sees no track, auto-x or snow, just daily round town occasional spirited driving and these fit the bill nicely.
You sold me. I looked on Tirerack and Walmart ... They go up in price at R19s but at R17 or R18 they're significantly cheaper than Michelin Pilot Sports. Seems like a good value!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Currently:

Summer Set - Michelin PSS or PS4
Winter Set - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

I've also enjoyed the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (3 season tire) and Continental DWS 06 (only tire I would consider running year-round if I couldn't use a winter set).

Depending on the direction I'm taking with my latest suspension overhaul and choice of wheels, I might even skip the summer rubber for the DWS 06 moving forward.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Currently:

Summer Set - Michelin PSS or PS4
Winter Set - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

I've also enjoyed the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (3 season tire) and Continental DWS 06 (only tire I would consider running year-round if I couldn't use a winter set).

Depending on the direction I'm taking with my latest suspension overhaul and choice of wheels, I might even skip the summer rubber for the DWS 06 moving forward.
You sir have excellent (tire) taste!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts