BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.theage.com.au/business/...mediately-after-fatality-20191107-p538h6.html

"Vehicles will be either towed to the place of inspection or a mobile technician will come to inspect the vehicle at the [owner's] home or the vehicle's location," the notice says.

If the vehicle does contain a suspected faulty airbag, BMW will offer to arrange a loan or rental car or "reimbursement for alternative transport costs" until parts are available for an airbag replacement, or until other arrangements can be made.

Customers may also discuss "the vehicle being purchased by BMW", the ACCC says.

BMW owners who are unsure of whether they are affected by this recall can check their vehicle***8217;s identifying numbers (VIN) on www.recall.bmw.com.au.

·
Registered
27 Posts
G'Day fgin, My car is "finally" on the list, always suspected it would be, the latest update just confirmed that anyway. How much would they give for a 20 year old car? Not much I guess, but would attempt to sell you a replacement one I could imagine as a business. Car booked in with BMW next week, will be towed there of course. Not sure if they have any airbags though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That really sucks, because they don't have a fix. Maybe the DIY fix will be to install a newer shape steering wheel, for which they have a new bag.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just an update from BMW, no airbags available for the next 18-24 months. Options, loan vehicle for 4 weeks, or car goes into storage at BMW or sign waiver and get car returned with same airbag and put your name on a list for an airbag when they arrive. They also offered to buy the car for an agreed amount from a list that they have created. There you go, not well organised I dare say.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just an update from BMW Waverly, no airbags available for the next 18-24 months. Options, loan vehicle for 4 weeks, or car goes into storage at BMW or sign waiver and get car returned with same airbag and put your name on a list for an airbag when they arrive. They also offered to buy the car for an agreed amount from a list that they have created. There you go, not well organised I dare say.
Did you ask which bag is the problem? I don't get why they can fix my 2003 E46 and not your '99, it's the same car. Get a face-lift steering wheel from the wrecker... ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
G'Day PetsAU, the bag affected is the dirivers side only. Can't answer the 2nd question. Might keep a lookouf for one at Jollys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recall buyback

I've been offered buyback for a bit over $4000 for my '98 323i - does that sound like a good deal? The other option is for a temporary loan car till they can find a solution, which doesn't seem to have an ETA. The car has a fair bit of cosmetic and mechanical wear, so thinking I might take them up on the offer. Anyone else had experiences with this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does this wait time affect 2005 M3s too? Was looking to sell and buy a mates E92 M3 but this means I won't be able to sell now? Who would buy a car they can't drive... Haven't had a chance to call BMW yet, last time they were useless though.:facepalm:

·
Registered
198 Posts
G'Day PetsAU, the bag affected is the dirivers side only. Can't answer the 2nd question. Might keep a lookouf for one at Jollys.
This is my take on the situation, albeit based on a fairly limited understanding.

Pre 6/2000 are single stage bags, post 6/2000 are dual stage.
While they may be mechanically interchangeable, you would assume the software is somehow different.

Bear in mind though, this new recall is for Australia only, instigated by the ACCC and BMW Australia, due to a possible fatality in Australia, only a very short time ago.
The rest of the BMW world may be largely oblivious.
If it spreads beyond early Australian E46's, more resources may be thrown at the problem.
At the moment though, it's 12000 20 year old cars in a small, remote, RHD market so the most efficient option right now for the BMW parent company may be to simply buy them back.

My car is 10/2000 so is unaffected but I have a female friend with one of the most mint, low km, 1999 323i manuals you're ever likely to see.
BMW have removed the airbag today, declared the car unroadworthy and suggested she consider a buy back.
It would be a travesty for this car to be scrapped.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My car is 10/2000 so is unaffected but I have a female friend with one of the most mint, low km, 1999 323i manuals you're ever likely to see.
BMW have removed the airbag today, declared the car unroadworthy and suggested she consider a buy back.
It would be a travesty for this car to be scrapped.
Update:
Friend was offered $6k, then $7k, then told this week they think her car can be fixed.
Not told that it's wasn't affected, told they can actually get the parts to fix it.
I don't get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im still waiting for BMW Paramatta to get back to me if they have the part. Dont wanna go there and waste time if they actually dont have it.

Anybody in here who has recently got it replaced from Bmw Paramatta? Cheers

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If your car is effected and is at the stealership, gow do you get your aftermarket car parts back?
Eg: drive line, suspension and body parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke to BMW Sylvania, and they told me to leave the receipts on the seats and they will either try and compensate for cost of parts or remove the parts, if they were purchased and installed within the last 12 months.

I have an 09/98 model 323i, and there will be no parts for these cars for 2 years, so they will keep them in "storage" e.g. an open field for as long as necessary.

Cars which are bought back need to be crushed to get sign off from the ACCC.

Such a waste :(

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yes, I was told I could remove my parts at BMW if my car failed the inspection, but the car would have to still be able to drive onto the car trailer.

One, what a logistical nightmare for myself and the time consumed to go to BMW and remove my parts... the car would not be able to be driven any where once I have removed my modified/aftermarket parts.
I would need to pay for a truck to haul my parts back home from BMW and the time, tools and resources needed to achieve this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update: Still no news regarding a replacement airbag. It has been almost 4 months since the car has been stored by BMW.

·
me
10,374 Posts
Update: Still no news regarding a replacement airbag. It has been almost 4 months since the car has been stored by BMW.
It was in the news yesterday that there are 8000 cars across all manufactuers that are still yet to be done.

What do you have as a loaner?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts