E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
E46 base speaker swap for HK OEM setup

I have been searching high and low for this info, so I apologize if it already exists. I drive a 2001 BMW 330ci with the base speaker setup or I think it's base, I have an amp, but no hk logo on the speakers and I found someone parting out their 2002 BMW 325xi which happens to have the Harmon Kardon system in it that he is willing to give me for a great deal. I am wonder what it would take to make the swap.

Is the wiring I need already in my car? can I simply swap out amps? Can I mount the sedan subs in my coup and again is there wiring for this already? Can I swap the rear speakers and low front speakers but leave my tweeters because my front doors only have 4 speakers instead of the 6 in the hk setup and I don't really want to cut into my door. Are the decks the same or do I need his deck too?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been searching high and low for this info, so I apologize if it already exists. I drive a 2001 BMW 330ci with the base speaker setup or I think it's base, I have an amp, but no hk logo on the speakers and I found someone parting out their 2002 BMW 325xi which happens to have the Harmon Kardon system in it that he is willing to give me for a great deal. I am wonder what it would take to make the swap.

Is the wiring I need already in my car? can I simply swap out amps? Can I mount the sedan subs in my coup and again is there wiring for this already? Can I swap the rear speakers and low front speakers but leave my tweeters because my front doors only have 4 speakers instead of the 6 in the hk setup and I don't really want to cut into my door. Are the decks the same or do I need his deck too?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

· Registered
1,735 Posts
You can do a swap but it has to come from the same body style. Sedan, coupe, vert, and touring all have different speaker configuration and specific amplifiers. Hk also has a button in the center console which could be plug and play if you find the right one. Some cars had individual switches and some had a single unit. Subwoofers are also body specific and not a direct swap. For this to work correctly and easily you need a donor vehicle with the same body style and you need to swap every speaker and the amp. It is bolt in and plug and play then. The radio is the same for base and hk and not body style specific but the connections are different from 01 to 02. I did a swap like this on my e36 when I had it. Check under the rear shelf for any unused connectors (inside the trunk) I'm not sure if all cars wired for the hk subs. They have their own amp. Look for a decent sized connection under the center of the top of the trunk. Post pics if unsure I can tell you if you found the right one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

· Registered
171 Posts
I thought HK was standard on Coupes? I could be wrong, but that's what I recall. The tweeters on the front door cards should have the metal Harman/Kardon badge.

BSW speaker upgrade might be a better option to improve audio quality over the factory HK system

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

· Registered
40 Posts
It can probably done but you're going to do your head in. Do you have a business cd head unit? If not do you plan to swap? If your amp is at the left of the trunk then most of the wiring should be there, but I don't know about the speed sensor stuff.

The question is why? The HK sound is not good. It's going to be just as much work as putting in an aftermarket system, and you'll end up with a very mediocre result. Questionable if it's an upgrade at all.

Getting an aftermarket amp and new front door speakers would be a Huuge upgrade, and probably much less work.

· Registered
40 Posts
Fair enough. I like it stock too, which is why I'm sticking with the stock HU even though it's kind of a pain in the ass. I can't abide by the HK speakers, but part of me does have a certain geeky admiration for the amp - its kind of a neat little beast. Still, I didn't shed any tears when I bypassed it :)

A far as price, make sure you're factoring in your time - you might have to put a lot of it into this project.

Keep us posted, I haven't seen anyone else try this and I'm curious to hear how it goes.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the speaker sizes apear to be the same. My only concern is my mid and tweeters are not separated in my front door panel as they are in the hk setup. But the rear and rear mid and low front speaker all match perfectly. I'm meeting the guy on Sunday and will have to evaluate then if I'll be able to make the swap worth while

· Registered
1,735 Posts
Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Plug and play simple. But you MUST do the swap from another coupe. Sedan is different. Some of the speakers are different. Front midrange and tweeters and the amp and the subwoofer and possibly rear tweeters are not going to work. I would try to find a coupe system. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

· Registered
2018 M240i
12,591 Posts
I thought HK was standard on Coupes? I could be wrong, but that's what I recall. The tweeters on the front door cards should have the metal Harman/Kardon badge.

BSW speaker upgrade might be a better option to improve audio quality over the factory HK system

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

No, the HK was an option on all body styles.

The HK speakers may be the same size regardless of body style. Check realoem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.