E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,931 Posts
I think the OP is onto something here,........And I'm Not Joking.

First, everyone is really Assuming here; with very little information to base his or her assumption on. His aluminum bolts need to be thrown out & replaced with at least a grade 8 bolt, those steel mounting plates should be welded in, but in reality you could epoxy them in place. I'm not a fan of using epoxy for a repair like this, but many many E46F forum members have successfully done it that way.

This Brilliant but ultra simple fix relies on the fact that your Bimmer has very little to little subframe damage to begin with. Someone with a "torn-up" subframe can't get away with this type of simple fix.

This WILL work and I really endorse it, as long as you are starting with a subframe that's not badly damaged.

The picture below is the best / most comprehensive way to do this, the OP's version is the same thing in its simplest form.

OP, good work. :thumbsup:

Attachments

· Registered
6,931 Posts
Here is what I copied from another E46F member, I believe it's the best method.
Notice how the main rectangle tube is cut through and goes down about one inch into the trunk floor. This gets welded to both the bottom & top sheet metal, making for a very rigid platform. Then of course all the other structural material is weld in to tie everything into the shock towers. Take a close look at all the pics, you'll see what I mean.

But like I said, if you're dealing with a small subframe problem that has not yet become bad;............the OP's fix is Stupid Simple. I'm shocked no one has ever done this before now.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.