E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving my 2004 BMW 325i, and I lost traction over a hill, which is nothing new because of the RWD, but once i went into a slide, the rear right sub frame mount ripped away, and the rear right axle just snapped. That sent me into a spin in the ditch, i did 2 full spins, and yet i somehow survived. But at this point i wish i hadnt because my baby is totaled and i cant afford a new one right now. Can i still sue bmw for the faulty mounts?

· Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,349 Posts
So, you are sliding it often and you didn't consider reinforcing it,or at least inspect the subframe ? You can suit bmw for whatever you want but I don't think you will get compensated, bmw never really admitted the problem. If the car isn't completely stock they will fault you

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Sure you can sue them. But I would be super surprised if you found a lawyer to take it, if it didn't get dismissed immediately, or if you aren't stuck with legal bills 100x the worth of a 16 year old bmw.
You lost control of your car, the subframe didn't cause you to crash.

Subframes don't snap unless you hit something, they crack over a long period of time, with abuse. If you didn't inspect the car and keep up on maintenance, thats on you.

· Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
4,231 Posts
You can, but you will have to prove the failure caused the crash, not the other way around, then you have to prove it's a faulty design, which already was settled against more than ten years ago.
Today it's pretty much your responsibility, like if your brakes failed, will you sue BMW?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, you are sliding it often and you didn't consider reinforcing it,or at least inspect the subframe ? You can suit bmw for whatever you want but I don't think you will get compensated, bmw never really admitted the problem. If the car isn't completely stock they will fault you
The car is totally stock other than a sound system and underglow and other cosmetics. And i never drift or slide it. It was the loss of traction that was pretty typical, because my dynamic stability control is broken. I may not like what ive been told on here, but i get that i fucked up. Im just heartbroken because i put so much work into fixing this car and its just gone in the blink of an eye. Thanks for all your opinions.

· Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,349 Posts
The car is totally stock other than a sound system and underglow and other cosmetics. And i never drift or slide it. It was the loss of traction that was pretty typical, because my dynamic stability control is broken. I may not like what ive been told on here, but i get that i fucked up. Im just heartbroken because i put so much work into fixing this car and its just gone in the blink of an eye. Thanks for all your opinions.
You fucked up not cause you played around, everyone here enjoys a spirited drive, but for failing to keep on maintenance and on a known failure point. Sad turn of events but there is always a lesson to be learned

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sure you can sue them. But I would be super surprised if you found a lawyer to take it, if it didn't get dismissed immediately, or if you aren't stuck with legal bills 100x the worth of a 16 year old bmw.
You lost control of your car, the subframe didn't cause you to crash.

Subframes don't snap unless you hit something, they crack over a long period of time, with abuse. If you didn't inspect the car and keep up on maintenance, thats on you.
I can assure you that the subframe was the cause. I baby the hell out of this car, i just drive a little fast every once in a while. There was no reason for the axle to snap other than the loss of support from the subframe. Once i lost control, the lateral forces on the wheel caused it to snap. If it hadnt, i could have pulled put of the slide.

· Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,349 Posts
This isnt really relevant but just to put it into perspective im 19 and this is my first car.
I feel you, I bought my first e46 before even I got my license at 18 , spent 2 years saving to shape it and then 6 months later I decided to do a donut to cheer up a fuckin friend of me that owns a scooter and wouldnt risk even 2$ . Long story short, rear tires new, front old, and not been able to power oversteer the car, I went up under steering straight to a tree. And it was the first time I treated the car that way. Could have ended a million other ways but ended like this.
Life will bite you in the ass on the slightest chance and it will be your mistake more often than not

· OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,368 Posts
slim to no chance your mount broke and caused axle to crack. the rear axle carrier isn’t falling from chassis.
What most likely happened is not fixing your DSC (in this driving condition) allowed your slide and caused it to hit something when sliding into the ditch. this huge impact pushed the wheel and trailing arm moving it and breaking the axle at this point and breaking the axle carrier mount from the rear axle carrier panel.

*a photo of the rear side impact from sliding into the ditch can help answer what the cause was.

· Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,466 Posts
So I was driving my 2004 BMW 325i, and I lost traction over a hill, which is nothing new because of the RWD, but once i went into a slide, the rear right sub frame mount ripped away, and the rear right axle just snapped. That sent me into a spin in the ditch, i did 2 full spins, and yet i somehow survived. But at this point i wish i hadnt because my baby is totaled and i cant afford a new one right now. Can i still sue bmw for the faulty mounts?
LOL. BMW will take your 19yr-old ass to school with their army of lawyers.

· Registered
191 Posts
You said eveything here: "lost traction over a hill" You were speeding past a hill, the car lost contact with the ground, your DSP was broken, then you started spinning and crashed. it's amazing how fast control can be lost in certain situations, but the subframe damage was a consequence, not the cause of your accident.

If i were you, I would be more worried about my next insurance quote than what's going to be my next car.

· Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 794 K km
1,572 Posts
If kid is for real, it is sad, to lose first car that way... Nerveless, mounting and axle broke because of impact, not vice versa.
But anyone can tell me Why do I have strong feeling someone is using forum for fun - I saw few posts like that within last week. Totaling friend's car, dropping bolts into engine, etc - isn't it similar?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.