BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a HUGE problem and I am hoping someone here can give me some good advice. I had the subframe replaced/repaired on my 2000 328i. I am the second owner bought it on x=mas 2002. had 29k on it and now has 89k. Basically used as a weekender. OK So last year brought it to my dealer they did the inspection and confirmed subframe replacement was needed... Took about 2 -3 months before I got it back and since then ... nothing but problems. I was told the car needed springs cuz they were cracked and since they had the car apart they would only charge for parts to replace them .. so I said go ahead. since they did that the car sits about 1 to 1.5 inches lower than the front. I brought this to their attention and was told that was the normal ride hight. When I would hit a bump on the highway the car would swerve in either direction. Today I noticed that both my rear tires are almost bald and on the inside of them is down to the metal wire. The tires were put on brand new about 2 years ago and have maybe 8k miles on them. Has anyone had the same problem after getting this repair? Or has anyone had the tire wear problem if so what was the solution.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
Eep. Sounds to me like someone didn't put everything back together correctly. I took mine in for repair as well, took about 3 weeks. They notified me that sometimes the SES light will come on after doing the subframe repair because somehow doing the repair damages an O2 sensor. SES light has been on ever since. I still have yet to figure out how repairing a subframe damages an O2 sensor. I just told him whatever, give me back my sh!t.

Sorry this doesn't help your issue. Is there another dealer or some indy mechanic you trust? Maybe take it to them and have them double check the dealer's work?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DerMooch, I got my car back thought I was gonna blow up... I filled up the car with fuel and it smelled like it was poured onto my back seat. I brought it back they told me " oh you have a cracked fuel line above the tank in its gonna cost $750 to repair".... [email protected]#$%^&*(&^%$#@$%^&*
I ****ing lost it... Then I was told I will not have to par for labor but I will have to cover parts... So I said OK here is $40 for a hose and some clamps. TURNS OUT it was a loose hose clamp... and I didn't have to pay a dime,,,, but gee I wonder would would have been if I didn't say anything.
I also do mechanical work so I am not gullable to the bullshit...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
does your 328i have the Sport Package -ZSP? because it sounds to me like they assumed your car had it(which the 323/328 sedans did not unless ordered). so they put in the sport springs which made your car lower. then they aligned it for the Standard non-sport setting which has caused excesive wear. which is what happend when a car is lowered and camber not adjusted.

I'd look at my receipt and see which springs they put in. I didn't get an alignment print-out when the dealer did mine, but if they supplied you one that would be good to see where they have you at.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
If they don't have the spring part number listed, see if you can tell what color and how many stripes are on the springs. this can often help us tell which they are from a database that member jpr has put together in a tread.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The whole rear subframe, diff, controls arms, and--as you discovered--gas tank have to come off to do the rear subframe body repair. I have a theory....

1) If you don't have sports suspension, they put in sports suspension rear springs by mistake, and/or used a thinner rear spring pad. I heard the rear spring pad is available in two thicknesses and one is 1/2" thicker than the other. Did you have standard or sports suspension? Do you have the part numbers for the new springs they put in?

2) They set your rear alignment back to spec, which is known to wear the insides of the rear tires. Or they didn't do a careful alignment. Or they gave you standard toe-in but you have more negative rear camber than spec before because you're now lowered in the back.

·
Registered
857 Posts
wow sorry to hear about your issues. I would take it back and make a stink about it, demand they fix it right. Tell them you post on BMW forums and will definitely advertise their incompetence publicly and publish their name. they obviously gave it to some 1st year graduate from UTI to fix your sh*t. Like Alex323ci says, it sounds like the wrong springs and aggressive camber (too much negative) thats causing all that inner tire wear. Dont pay for anything else going forward, and if they say something is broken or cracked, ask to see this in person on the car rather than take their word for it. This place sounds like it deserves $tealership status.

I had [email protected] do my subframe repair (and some mods) and i have zero issues going on 3yrs. Of course, I had to pay for mine, about $3k but I got my car back in 1 month.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
OP, sounds like at least the alignment is off.

As far as height...is the rocker panel level to the ground? I wonder if you're looking at the rear gap seeming larger than the front or something?

The springs might be wrong...or maybe, before your time, someone put other springs around and the dealer returned it to stock?

All guesses...if you can get PN/pics of springs, someone can help you, but it sure sounds that at least your alignment is off.

GL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Everyone bringing the car to the stealer this morning I will keep everyone posted..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well turns out I have bad control arms. They are saying that the subframe repair is good. I replaced the arms yesterday and they will do a free wheel alighnment. we shall see what the future holds.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Springs being broken is common issue and not related to subframe issue. As for your tires wearing out, numnuts probably didn't do alignment after the work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hrvat....
That is what I am saying ,,, however they swear they did one..
Hoping to get the cars history so I can see what was done for sure from SouthPaw.:pimpin:

·
Registered
241 Posts
OP, I don't know if this helps any, but when I read your first post I thought of what happened to me a couple of years ago. I had a slow leak in a tire and when I got it checked by the installer, they showed me that the inside of the tire was horribly worn... It was a miracle the thing held any air at all, and really that it hadn't blown completely out. After some inconclusive checking by tire shops and a mechanic friend, the dealer figured out that I had a slightly bent control arm. Turns out that when someone had bumped into the side of my rear bumper months earlier -- it was so slight that I didn't even have insurance fix it -- it weakened the arm enough that it slowly bent over the next few months. That caused enough camber that the inside of the tire was actually rubbing on the wheel well.

Just saying that I've had the same issue with a control arm causing that same problem with my tires. Since I got the new arm put on, no problems.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
Well turns out I have bad control arms. They are saying that the subframe repair is good. I replaced the arms yesterday and they will do a free wheel alighnment. we shall see what the future holds.
Oh I was thinking maybe they didn't tighten the control arm bushing/mounts to spec when they dropped it to do the fix. But the whole rear siting 1"-1.5" lower in the rear now is what leads me to the other. I would insist you get the old parts and insist on the print-out of the alignment specs before and after.

You never answered my questions on your suspension be it standard or sport package and what springs they put in. My spring theory fits perfectly. Wear on both inside tires.
Control arms fit for the handling, and the tire wear but specific tire wear on the inside on BOTH and that much a drop..no so much. So now it's Both control arms??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I was thinking maybe they didn't tighten the control arm bushing/mounts to spec when they dropped it to do the fix. But the whole rear siting 1"-1.5" lower in the rear now is what leads me to the other. I would insist you get the old parts and insist on the print-out of the alignment specs before and after.

You never answered my questions on your suspension be it standard or sport package and what springs they put in. My spring theory fits perfectly. Wear on both inside tires.
Control arms fit for the handling, and the tire wear but specific tire wear on the inside on BOTH and that much a drop..no so much. So now it's Both control arms??
Sorry....
Standard package... I assume they put in the standard springs.
I put in : inner and outter tierods, new front control arms and cabs and rear contol arms. Brought it in for my free alignment and they tell me I need new RTABS.... because they can't get the rear wheels to adjust anymore and its way out.:hmm:

I am not the greatest mechanic but U have been around the block.. I know the BMW bushings are made of soft material and wear out quickly, but what concerns me is all this **** is happening only after the rear sub frame repair. Maybe I am feeling it now because the repair is correct and things are tightening up....:hmm:

Any recomendations on RTABS? I have been looking around in the forums and peoples opinions are all over the place....

·
Registered
800 Posts
um...

Without getting into poly bushings, I think M3 bushings may work and are more heavy-duty than standard non-M3 oem.
Check with Turner Motorsports.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
Without getting into poly bushings, I think M3 bushings may work and are more heavy-duty than standard non-M3 oem.
Check with Turner Motorsports.
I looked into that before and I don't think they fit. They will in an e36 if you get the right year M3 bushing, but I don't think an M. Meyle HD seems to be popular!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts