BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen them many times on ebay, I just don't know if it will work on my 2001 M3. My cover is damaged from a bad installer, so I just want to replace it without paying $400 for new airbag.

BTW most of them say it for 2004-2005 M3, I don't know what but here

LINK

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,598 Posts
it's got an oem emblem embossed on the underside so one would think you'd have no issues. thing is, can't you just order it from TischerBMW instead of paying the euro exchange rate and shipping?

*edit* sorry i just noticed you're overseas.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that looks like teh one on later sport package cars........
It looks the same as the M3 one.

I'm assuming that if you want to replace the emblem you have to buy the whole cover?
:rolleyes:
Is your life worth more than $400. Nuff said.
Its an BMW OEM replacment part
it's got an oem emblem embossed on the underside so one would think you'd have no issues. thing is, can't you just order it from TischerBMW instead of paying the euro exchange rate and shipping?

*edit* sorry i just noticed you're overseas.
I order most of my parts from Tischer, I just don't know the P/N for this one.You can clearly see some of them on the back of the cover but that number is not pulling anything.

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
I wouldn't run without an airbag BUT that said if this really is the assembly that covers an OEM airbag it might be worth the expense to see if this can be replaced. Just keep in mind that if you set off the airbag while working on it, it's gonna scare the shìt out of you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't run without an airbag BUT that said if this really is the assembly that covers an OEM airbag it might be worth the expense to see if this can be replaced. Just keep in mind that if you set off the airbag while working on it, it's gonna scare the shìt out of you.

I'm just replacing the damaged airbag cover with new one, airbag will be there. I will make sure I disconnect the battery 1st.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
i would buy straight from the dealership. you never know where they came from, or if there can be any type of flaw in the plastic itself. just buy it from BMW, unfortunately dish out the extra cash, and save your life.

I wouldn't trust ebay with things that important

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I took my airbag off to see the difference

Apparently the plastic is hot glued to the back of the airbag. Its definitely doable but I don't want to risk it :D

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
I'm not sure it's hot glued... I bet they melt that on. Best not to take chances anyway.

On a side note - hopefully there isn't a way to "trick" the computer to thinking the airbag is still in there because I could just see some money grubbing, greedy, ahole taking a "blown" airbag out of the system and using this to save some $$ when reselling a car. I wonder why and how this person is selling them on ebay...:confused:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure it's hot glued... I bet they melt that on. Best not to take chances anyway.

On a side note - hopefully there isn't a way to "trick" the computer to thinking the airbag is still in there because I could just see some money grubbing, greedy, ahole taking a "blown" airbag out of the system and using this to save some $$ when reselling a car. I wonder why and how this person is selling them on ebay...:confused:
Yes I meant hot melted until it got glued :) .

·
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source
1,030 Posts
That cover is not available from BMW separate from the airbag itself. The only way to get a new OEM airbag cover like that one is to order the complete airbag.

:str8pimpi

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That cover is not available from BMW separate from the airbag itself. The only way to get a new OEM airbag cover like that one is to order the complete airbag.

Jason, are all E46 round airbags the same? I mean Can I buy one from 05 and put in an 02 model??

·
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source
1,030 Posts
Jason, are all E46 round airbags the same? I mean Can I buy one from 05 and put in an 02 model??
Yes, all of the round, sport airbags from the E46's(M3 included) are the same part number. The '05 will work just fine in the '02.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts

I was gonna say that.....

Yeah, the OEM airbag "cover" is meant to split open when the airbag deploys...if You put an airbag behind that e-bay cover, it'd just blow off and probably break Your face in case of a deployment.

And yeah, there are ways to trick the car into thinking it's got an airbag when in reality it just has a cover with some newspaper behind it, or a TV screen in it's place...there are unscrupulous shops that will just put an airbag cover on and call it good, or, god-forbid, use a used airbag from another car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts