E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 02 vert is having some problems, it has started to stall and cut off. This always happens at low speeds like when pulling out of a parking lot or something like that. I think I had this same problem with my old e46 but that was a long time ago and I cant really remember but at that time it was an air sensor and I had to replace it. Is this a common e46 problem? is there a faq anywhere? These cars always seem to blow out sensors. My 2000 323 currently has the fan relay sensor go bad, having to ride with no air until I can get it fixed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had this same issue a few months ago... after checking the lower intake boot and finding it fine, my buddy who is a tech suggested getting it recoded and having the software updated ($125 at stealership). This ended up fixing the issue and I haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll look and see if there is something up with the lower intake boot. this is the ductwork near the bottom of the car that brings air in from the body work? Im not exactly sure how to check it.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
lower intake boot is the rubber tube that connects your throttle body to the rest of the intake.

could also be the maf

is your air filter clean?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
air filter is clean, gonna check the lower intake tonight see whats up. do these normally split or tear?

·
Registered
75 Posts
This issue has been related to a torn lower intake boot.

Another part linked to this problem is the camshaft position sensor (intake).

I have also read on a bmw mechanic bulletin that upgrading the software is the fix (if your software is not the latest).

I've had this happen to me twice so far (in the last 6 months).

I ended up changing the cam sensor and have yet to encounter it again (knock on wood)

If it comes back, software is the next step for me

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
so my 02 vert is having some problems, it has started to stall and cut off. This always happens at low speeds like when pulling out of a parking lot or something like that. I think I had this same problem with my old e46 but that was a long time ago and I cant really remember but at that time it was an air sensor and I had to replace it. Is this a common e46 problem? is there a faq anywhere? These cars always seem to blow out sensors. My 2000 323 currently has the fan relay sensor go bad, having to ride with no air until I can get it fixed.
Is the Check Engine light on?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have same problem

I recently acquired my 2nd '03 325i. Power is actually better than my prior 03. However, I'm having this exact symptom of the car wanting to stall at low speeds/parking lot maneuvers, etc. Happens whether the engine is hot or cold. No check engine light. I'll check the intake boot as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok I pulled the airbox open but I have no idea how to check the lower intake boot. I small a small hole in the bottom of the air box about as wide as a pencil , but I have no idea how to get to the hose thats connected to it if thats what it is anyway. Anyone have a step by step on how to check it? My 323 has a k & N intake on it and its a manual. I havent looked at it yet but would the lower intake be hooked up on that so its easier to see it and then go back and look at the 325 vert?

·
Registered
114 Posts
ok I pulled the airbox open but I have no idea how to check the lower intake boot. I small a small hole in the bottom of the air box about as wide as a pencil , but I have no idea how to get to the hose thats connected to it if thats what it is anyway. Anyone have a step by step on how to check it? My 323 has a k & N intake on it and its a manual. I havent looked at it yet but would the lower intake be hooked up on that so its easier to see it and then go back and look at the 325 vert?
Do a little searching. Here's one that I found for you.

http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/tubeelbow.php

1 - 11 of 11 Posts