BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place, but just wanted to share.

I own a 318Ci E46 auto. For a long time i've been wanting to do something to the car that would affect it's performance. It was recently due for a service and MOT so since i was splashing out anyway, i decided to make some new upgrades. I replaced my air filter with a stainless steel panel filter by Hurricane. I was always sceptical to try a k&n one or a cone filter but this one sounded good and so thought i'd try.

The rubber frame is really nice, it fit like a glove and was changed in a few minutes. The difference here is that its not made from cotton and there is no oiling. The steel mesh is really fine - i saw some cheap copies on the net that were really bulky and poor quality.

It was time for the test drive - wow and what a difference. Just the sound of the idle engine was more humble than usual. I did a flat out 0-60 which was the smoothest run the cars ever done - it seemed to just float. It's a lot more responsive, less of a lag and at higher rpms it doesnt seem to struggle as much. My instant MPG meter was also rocking the near 50mpg while cruising at 60mph.

I just wanted to share that i am definately surprised and impressed by the difference an air filter can make and how good this one is. I only have the baby 318 engine so can only imagine what it would do for the rest of you. Very happy upgrade i recommend any of you to try, seriously.

Here is a link to a youtube video demonstrating air flow between paper/cotton/stainless steel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlqIAB-kB_w

Attachments

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
To be honest with you all that video shows is that the stainless steel filter isn't doing what a filter should do, filter the air going into the engine.
I can imagine how much dust that thing will let into the motor over a period of time.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
To be honest with you all that video shows is that the stainless steel filter isn't doing what a filter should do, filter the air going into the engine.
I can imagine how much dust that thing will let into the motor over a period of time.
+1

Generally if it looks amazing and sounds amazing, its going to let you down. What you experienced was a placebo effect. I'd really worry about putting that filter in, cold air intakes (which suck in denser cold air which equates to more power) make 1-1.5hp horsepower difference (for a good one) and cost about 10x what that filter costs. The OEM air filter is the best possible one you can use, that stainless steel one might be fine if you have a Mustang which responds well to bolt on mods, but the M54 engine does not because it's optimised from the factory. Using the stock airbox you are not going to see any gains, and frankly i'd be looking to remove that "filter" as soon as possible, because I can promise you it's not going to do its job.

Don't make the mistake of comparing stuff to K&N filters either, if they're not properly oiled every 5k they let dust in and if you oil them every 5k they gunk up the MAF. They are not very good.

Sorry :(

·
Registered
829 Posts
It's likely that your newfound 'performance' was partly due to having an older, dirty filter which you have now taken out. Replacing it with OEM would have had the same effect.

I agree with the posters above, aftermarket filters don't do anything to our car you could actually notice, except for adding more sound. I would be very skeptical about a filter made only of wire mesh to be able to filter out 1-10 micron particles. K&N filters have difficulty in doing this, and they are oiled.

Just heed this warning, you're likely just letting more dirt into your engine while not gaining any real performance.

·
Registered
33,138 Posts
You joined two days ago and your first ever post on the forum you are linking people to an ebay auction. Obvious spam is obvious.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
You joined two days ago and your first ever post on the forum you are linking people to an ebay auction. Obvious spam is obvious.
I thought that as well, but you'll see he used proper English and didn't abuse caps or asterisks. I'm putting my vote down as undecided for now..

Since you are the god of knowledge, what would upgrading the ignition coils do?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You are slowly destroying your engine with that SS filter. Paper filters filter because of the dense fibers. OIl filters are based on trapping the dirt in oil and fibers. SS fibers adsorb dirt less than oil and are thicker and pack less dense than paper fibers. Its not trapping the dirt and just letting it go through to the engine.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
More air for the engine is good. More dust and contaminants for the engine is bad. Proper engineering is about arriving at an acceptable compromise. This is where BMW engineers come in. They have already done the work so that you don't have to. If you are pleased with the result of a little extra air flow, have you considered removing the filter completely ? It will give you significantly more air flow and the engine will sound significantly louder, all the good stuff you want and you don't have to buy anything from ebay.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Exactly.

Besides, there is no possible way a SS filter could filter anything. Dirt gets trapped in papers fibers which is how a paper filter works and trapped in the cotton/oil combo which is how k&n filters work. A SS filter is smooth, there are no fibers to catch dirt so the dirt would flow right over the smooth mesh, into one of the holes, flow right over more smooth metal, into another hole and yea you get the point, I cannot imagine that thing stops any dirt that is smaller then its largest hole.

·
Registered
33,138 Posts
I thought that as well, but you'll see he used proper English and didn't abuse caps or asterisks. I'm putting my vote down as undecided for now..

Since you are the god of knowledge, what would upgrading the ignition coils do?
Only "upgraded ignition coils" I have ever heard of are the ones marketed by BavAuto, and just about everyone who got them ended up with a worse running engine and switched back to OEM.

From an engineering standpoint, the E46 ignition system is flawless.

:p

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Exactly.

Besides, there is no possible way a SS filter could filter anything. Dirt gets trapped in papers fibers which is how a paper filter works and trapped in the cotton/oil combo which is how k&n filters work. A SS filter is smooth, there are no fibers to catch dirt so the dirt would flow right over the smooth mesh, into one of the holes, flow right over more smooth metal, into another hole and yea you get the point, I cannot imagine that thing stops any dirt that is smaller then its largest hole.
The ebay seller did not make claims that the filter can stop dirt. In fact he showed with animations that his filter lets dirt through. He's basically saying: my filter lets dirt into the engine. But my filter is cheaper than OEM's life time cost. Therefore you should buy it.

Personally I have less problem with this kind of seller than those who lie. If given all the facts, people still choose to be stupid, it's not the seller's fault.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place, but just wanted to share.

I own a 318Ci E46 auto. For a long time i've been wanting to do something to the car that would affect it's performance. It was recently due for a service and MOT so since i was splashing out anyway, i decided to make some new upgrades. I replaced my air filter with a stainless steel panel filter by Hurricane. I was always sceptical to try a k&n one or a cone filter but this one sounded good and so thought i'd try.

The rubber frame is really nice, it fit like a glove and was changed in a few minutes. The difference here is that its not made from cotton and there is no oiling. The steel mesh is really fine - i saw some cheap copies on the net that were really bulky and poor quality.

It was time for the test drive - wow and what a difference. Just the sound of the idle engine was more humble than usual. I did a flat out 0-60 which was the smoothest run the cars ever done - it seemed to just float. It's a lot more responsive, less of a lag and at higher rpms it doesnt seem to struggle as much. My instant MPG meter was also rocking the near 50mpg while cruising at 60mph.

I just wanted to share that i am definately surprised and impressed by the difference an air filter can make and how good this one is. I only have the baby 318 engine so can only imagine what it would do for the rest of you. Very happy upgrade i recommend any of you to try, seriously.

Here is a link to a youtube video demonstrating air flow between paper/cotton/stainless steel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlqIAB-kB_w
:lmao::rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
The paper coffee filter worked better on my coffee maker than the gold plated one.....true story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all,

Well im back from my holiday and wow what a warm welcome this is. Seriously mr moderator sir, adding a "sh1t filter" tag is so unmoderator-like. This is supposed to be a forum to discuss and share, so i appreciate those who had well thought out, civil posts and to the rest of you... Bm driver really are hot headed - chill.

Now to address the issues. First off the filtration aspect. I understand when you question how can a steel mesh filter against dust/dirt when even an oiled cotton one has trouble. To be honest, from looking at some of those cheap steel filters available from taiwan or china, im not surprised, i questioned it myself and found out the following.
There are different grades of stainless steel, in terms of quality and the fine-ness of the mesh. I would definately not put one of the universal steel cone filters in my car, after having bought one for under $30 just to look, i saw how dark, bulky and thick the mesh was. I think a small fly could pass through its gaps... Anywho, the hurricane filters are different and come in 2 grades - Fine and super fine. For those who called it "cheap" - in Singapore and Malaysia it is the highest premium filter you can buy for your car and will cost you between $100-$130 for a filter. It is used by the best performing cars - saw lots of subarus from the car clubs using them and by general saloons. Cotton deforms under pressure and larger particles can be forced through. Excess oil and grease from the filter can be sucked into the engine easily too. The grading of the hurricane filters has been calculated and tested (i will try to get some of the results and facts and post them up for exact micron spacing etc.) For a car like the subaru impreza with its mega turbo, the finest steel filter will not do because the air flow is too restricted, so you use a less fine (but not the cheap ones with the huge holes). The subaru clubs there have tried and tested and use these filters. They must do their job. The super fine one is used for general road cars and saloons like our E46's. Its so fine, it filters everything. I will send a filter to anyone who wants one, to try and test it themselves. If you like it you can buy it, otherwise just send it back to me please.

I bought a standard oem paper filter, just to compare new vs new and i can still see and feel a noticeable difference. Its pretty clear to me the effect on the mpg and response. Like i said, if anyone wants to try i have a few filters that i will send out to you. I plan on going to one of those rica mod chip centres to get them to do a bhp/torque graph comparison performance test for me, and i will post that up too. I also know the dust capacity of the filter is higher than K&N's cottons. Hurricane even make filters for trucks and lorries who drive in the worst conditions. Now tell me, why would anyone invest more money in a filter that is damaging their vehicles? I had serious problems with a my emf sensor in the past, damaged due to a cracked air filter box. I know how sensitive bmws are. I'll let you guys know when the "dirt" manages to kill it again. Their filters have been inspected and even have a US quality standard. Ive even seen 2 awesome hurricane cylinder filters in a lambo...

I'll be back again with the facts. Im just trying to share my own experience and what i learnt. I accept all the concerns and comments thrown at me, but i would like you all to at least be open to the possibility that, yes an air filter can affect your performance, economy and general efficiency. And in the worst case, if you are not seeing it, that it is filtering better than or on par with the oem filter, while lasting more than 10x longer. Thus an improvement for the car.

Regards,
Scott - from the UK, driving a 318CI

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
The video clearly shows it is not filtering as well as oem. The ball dropped on the OEM filter, but it rose higher than K&N. This evidence alone tells us all it's the worst filter of the 3. Further more, the ebay animation shows plenty of dust going past the filter. There's no choice but to conclude the filter is a fail.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Sounds like major product pimpage. Billy Mays, it that you???? Did you pull a Tupac?

HIGH, Billy Mays here.....try the Awesome Filter, you can truly feel the difference.....act now and we will throw in the Mighty Vornado....DOUBLE THE POWER!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is no way a SS filter can stop fine grain module like a decent paper filter. You can do all the dyno tests you like, I know your SS filter will win as it's NOT FILTERING. Take you filter out completely and it'll beat your SS filter. My point is, there must be a balance between filtering and allowing air through - which end of the scale you choose is up to you, but in my opinion you've gone too far to the performance/no filtering side.

On a standard car (i.e. not a turbo'd/s'charged) I doubt the paper filter breaks a sweat until it starts getting clogged up.

I don't care about the dyno reuslts, but I'd love you to show us some kind of filtering test showing it performs as well as paper or a quality cotton gauze filter (independent tests, of course).

There's no benefit to better mpg and performance if you're sacrificing engine lifespan as a result!

Rich

·
Registered
33,138 Posts
Seriously mr moderator sir, adding a "sh1t filter" tag is so unmoderator-like.
Anybody can tag a thread, not just a moderator. I highly doubt a moderator would have done so.

There are different grades of stainless steel, in terms of quality and the fine-ness of the mesh.
Yes there are different grades of stainless steel but the grades have no effect on "quality" or "fine-ness" of the mesh. That is solely based on processing and production of your stainless steel filters. That is assuming you even make them and don't outsource the material from another manufacturer.

Cotton deforms under pressure and larger particles can be forced through.
And that is why all cotton air filters have a metal mesh reinforcements to prevent this from happening. :idea:

Anywho, the hurricane filters are different and come in 2 grades - Fine and super fine.
So you have one that lets in a little bit of dirt and another that lets in more dirt? Umm, that makes no sense to me. Why not just do what manufacturers, tuners, and others do and just increase the size of the filter to deal with the extra air flow?

The subaru clubs there have tried and tested and use these filters.
Not sure about in the UK, but subaru clubs, and most car clubs for that matter are a horrible place to get valid information since they consist mostly of uneducated teenagers that spend more time reading import magazines than their text books. Japanese car makes have extremely high numbers of owners and fans like this.

I will send a filter to anyone who wants one, to try and test it themselves. If you like it you can buy it, otherwise just send it back to me please.

I bought a standard oem paper filter, just to compare new vs new and i can still see and feel a noticeable difference. Its pretty clear to me the effect on the mpg and response. Like i said, if anyone wants to try i have a few filters that i will send out to you.
Yes, you own a 318 and wanted to boost the performance and imply you are just a normal person and not a distributor or marketer. Yet you just stated you have filters for people to try out and can purchase from you if you like them. I don't know how you could carry filters for various E46, be willing to let people try them out, and sell them without being a distributor of some sort. So yeah, if you actually are selling products on a commercial basis, than you just broke the rules of the forum because you can't market your products here unless you are a site sponsor, which obviously you are not.

Their filters have been inspected and even have a US quality standard.
So could we a picture or scan of some paperwork? Do they come with a C.A.R.B. approval sticker so that they can even be used in California?

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Guy says he will send one to anyone who wants to test it. He has 2 posts.....treat this as SPAM. Nuff said. Sounds like he has a warehouse full of these things. Think about it guys........and hell, he has a 318, said he felt a difference.....no exhaust or intake out there will give you the SOTP feeling of a HP increase.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts