BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have already looked around a bit and learned several things. I am having a strange problem with shifting on my '02 330Ci. The problem has been intermittent for a month or so now, but seems like it is slowly becoming more frequent. I have a decent amount of basic mechanical knowledge, but am by no means an expert. I'll try not to bore anybody with my laymen's terms.

When shifting either from 3rd to 4th, or from 4th to 3rd, the shifter wants to pull to the right rather than going smoothly forward or back. There is some resistance (1/4th that required to shift into reverse?) to shift in a straight line. 4th -> 3rd wants to pull into 5th instead, and 3rd -> 4th wants to pull into a nonexistent 6th. After this happens and I gently force into the correct gear, the next time I'm in neutral the shifter is leaning right, in between 5th and "6th", rather than snapping into the center position like it's supposed to.

Thanks advance for any and all of your help; it is much appreciated. I look forward to learning a lot more while I'm browsing around the forum.

·
Apple Jews
9,702 Posts
sounds like you have classic plastic shifter joint wear.
http://www.shortshifter.com/desc_parts2.htm

over time, the plastic ball joint wears down grooves and the shifter may want to follow routine..
so, say over the life of your car, you shift 1>2>3>4>5 happens.. wear will occur from 4>5 as with any other shift. the ball will degrade and grooves will appear. i bet its strying to follow those grooves.

edit: the above post is more likely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts