E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t seem to find a thread on this so here’s what I did.
  1. Found which wires corresponds to which.
  2. Tapcut harness to motors not the seat controls (I found cutting the harness was easier. But this Depends if you don’t mind soldering or butt connectors)
  3. Connect the 2 wires to 12 volts( I used a battery to a drill)
Wires for each control:
  • backrest: black/purple->green/purple
  • height; up/down: blue/blue->blue/purple
  • forward and back: black/yellow->yellow/black
  • tilt: blue/red->purple/red

And to flip the controls all you need to do it flip the wires to the battery

Hope this helps with those pesky bolts that bmw kindly gave us..

if you guys want a sedan to coupe seat retrofit lmk. As I haven’t seen a tread on that strangely

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That doesn't work if the battery terminal is blown. I just crimped a barrel connector to a chassis side connector and hooked it up to my jump pack. Works great unless the seat is physically stuck.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,759 Posts
I just hook a jump box up to the cables in the trunk and let 'er rip.
I have never gotten that to work, which is quite frustrating! But it should.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My method works regardless or the terminals being blown. You’re applying 12+ Volts turning on the motor and flipping the wires to reverse the flow. I was in a bit if a pinch as these were coupe sports seats in black( a lot of people were eyeing them that morning so I got to work immediately) I didn’t have the tools accessible (a jump box, though that would be the quickest/easiest, and to the front I may add since the trunk would clearly be locked) if you’re just taking the cushion like I was. This was the best way for me. Took me 10 seconds at the junkyard once I did some testing on mine at home.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only time that it's not worked for me was in the case of a seat with a bad motor, but the rest of the car powered up.
🤷‍
Yeah nor have I ever had or heard of a blown terminal. Usually connecting a jump box to the engine terminals work. But if you don’t have access to a jump box then this method works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts