E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JawKnee Motorsports
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to give y'all a heads up on some upgrade options we have for RTABs (rear trailing arm bushings), one of which I recently installed. If you guys are approaching the 50k mile mark, it would be a good idea to check out the condition of your RTABs and replace them, especially if you drive your car in a spirited fashion frequently.

The RTABs were a common failure on e36s and should continue to be on the e46s, at least the regular e46s since the regular e46s (unsure about the M) and e36s (I forget which model(s)), share the same part number for the RTABs. In fact, that's how I learned of the available upgrade options.

I personally went with the Powerflex urethane bushings from http://www.bimmerworld.com. Another good alternative would be some new stock bushings with the addition of some shims by Ground Control and the like. I would suggest getting the updated e36 m3 (I believe 96+) RTABs as the stock bushing of choice. Of course, there are other alternatives out there that would be way overkill (i.e. spherical components), even for a daily driver that frequents the track IMHO. Of course, relative to the stock bushings, these upgrades will more than likely yield an increase in NVH. Although I have yet to put my street wheels back on (i.e. 19" CHs), I personally haven't noticed a real significant increase in NVH, but the real evaluation will come when the 19s go back on since that's what I usually do my daily driving with. I'm sure Rob, Matt, Ed and others could offer up some more options and inputs.

Just to let y'all know, I have roughly 60k miles on my car with lots of track time and I found it necessary to replace my front control arms due to the wearing of the ball joints, the front control arm bushings with brackets, the RTABs (ESPECIALLY!!! :yikes: ), and the lower rear control arms as well.

P.S. Did y'all miss me? :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Damn Johnny -- what's with all this technical jargon? Why can't you be like everybody else and just ask which angel eyes are the brightest? :dunno:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
Glad you're back! Thanks for the good info, as always a review would be great!

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts