BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey- what exactly is inside the rear deck? (sandwiched in between the trunk's sheet metal and the interior facade on the inside of the passenger compartment?

Is there anything important in there in between the speaker locations? I want to mount my amp rack there, but before I just zip in sheet metal screws, I'd rather know what I was getting into...

·
Registered
401 Posts
there's about an 1.5"-2" gap from the rear deck to sheet metal. It's filled with a sheet of foam lining. Nothing really important. I considered cutting my deck, but I'm hesistant b/c not sure if it will weaken that area by too much. But if you reinforce the area I'm sure it would be fine. Just don't cut too much esp. towards the front where theres a double layer of sheet metal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice-

hey thanks man- yeah, no sawzalls here- I just wanted to make sure the sheet metal screws wouldn't screw anything up important if I mounted my amp rack udner there (inverted). How are the factory rear-deck speakers mounted? Is it like a plastic basket or something?

Most importantly, I haven't even looked at the deck with the seats down- how do you remove the interior deck panel for access down there- is it fairly easy?

thanks

·
-not a mod-
31,408 Posts
I think you just remove the plastic caps on the three safety seat locks, and there is a bolt under there that has to be removed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amp Rack Finished...

I finished my amp rack- It looks TIGHT. Carpeted charcoal, nice and compact, fits the P640 and 2 Quart crossovers- I built a riser plate so I have 3/4" clearance in between the underside of the deck and the amp rack (mounted inverted under rear deck, in trunk. I used 4-banger home theater wiring for amp-to-crossover (nice and neat, it's 4-lead 14 gauge in one neat run- x2 to each crossover (bi amped). Than from the crossover outs I got nice phoenix 14 gauge- I got all the 4 pairs bundled into a neat snake ready to run stealth in between the deck through to where the factory amp is located so I can run my wires there (using factory wiring from trunk to quarts in front) so it's all stealth. I also used a staple gun to neatly tie-down all the wiring to the underside of the amp rack, so basically all you see are the amp and crossovers- everything else is neat and hidden.. I can't wait to get it in the car...

Anyone know how to disassemble the factory amp harness? I nead to seperate the front speakers leads from the factory amp outputs so I can use my amp's outputs instead. I briefly dug into the amp compartment in trunk and disconnected the harness- but you must need to actually disassmble the harness, because all the wires go in on a 90 degree angle, and the shroud on the harness makes it almost impossible to identify which wires are which (if you count pins). Any advice on this?

·
Registered
494 Posts
HA! Project Bimmer is my friend's site. He finally got himself an M3. He's also doing a ton of custom CF work. I can't wait to see it all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts