BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was driving, i noticed that all the 5 series , x5s, and audis seem to have a different type of projecting mechanism for their HIDs. When they hit bumps or go up hills or at 1/4 angles, their lights flash purple or blue. Dead on, they are hella bright white. Then i noticed that the 3 series does not do this at all. I was wondering if anyone knows the reason why this happens, and if there is a way to mess aroundwith the projector so it flashes different colors at different angles.
any kind of input would be great...thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
the difference in colour is because you are viewing the light at different angles. The projector has a throw pattern in which the light is optimal, outside of that throw pattern, particularly at wider angles, the light will seem less white. The 5er, and X5, actually, if I am correct, use the older ZKW xenon housings, gen1. I think the 3 er uses gen 2 (by BMW standards). Audi's seem to use a higher colour temp. bulb than BMW's do. This is not neccesarily better, since higher colour temp means less strength over distance. Umm... how to explain? I learned this in 1yr physics, it's all a blur now to me.... so don't flame me if I got it wrong

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the use of the older gen xenon housing on the 5er and the x5 makes sense. and i tried viewing the 3er xenons at so many different angles but it never seems to produce that blueish/purple light. i guess theres nothing i can do about it. i was thinking bout changeing the bulbs to 6000k temp bulbs. you know anyone whose done it?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not really...i've checked with my friend's S4 and it has the same bulb as us.

Also..the new 7er have the same color as 5er....dunno why :dunno:

·
Registered
603 Posts
have to admit i thought i was the only one that noticed that blue/purplish color - BUT YAH ITS PRETTY PIMP!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's not the bulb, fellas. It's the optics, ie. the projector lens and housing.

From the link below, you'll notice that Hella projectors are used in the cars (ie. Audi A4/6, 5-series, X5) that have "purplish/bluish" hue when viewed off axis and are rated as the best ones. When viewed directly, E46's Bosch projector HID's vs. Hella's are all about the same colour, ie. very bright white!

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/car-oem-hid.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts