E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So I have been having some issues w my 2004 BMW 325ci

TL;Dr I replaced a fuel pump and expansion tank. I tried to start the car with the maf and air box disconnected. Resulting in a no start/crank.

It started when the car stalled and started back up after a few turns. A couple days later it stalled out and wouldn't start back up. I had it towed to a mechanic that said it was the fuel pump and also my radiator light is on due to a hole in the upper radiator hose. I replaced the hose and the fuel pump myself w no issue. However I must've filled the radiator fluid too much because a few drives later I heard a pop and gushing out coolant.

I bought a new expansion tank and moved the car to the end of the driveway to repair it. The car started even though it was loosing or had lost lots of fluid.

The expansion tank came in and I got to work removing the air box. I realized that's as far as I wanted to go before lifting the car up.

The next day I tried to start the car to move it to even ground but forgot I completely removed the air box and maf sensor. The car barely started and then sputtered out and I realized it might be due to the disconnected air box and sensor. So I left the car as is and replaced the expansion tank. When I reconnected everything the car still wasn't starting. I rechecked the fuel pump to make sure nothing was loose. And then a no start/crank turned into a clicking noise. So then I tried to jump it and it almost got started and then sputtered out. A few more tries and it seemed like it was loosing power and went back to the clicking noise again.

Anybody have any clue as to what's going on here? Please help.[URL="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OocC87BbNFo"]http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OocC87BbNFo[/URL]_a_

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is a simple problem. Check the intake hoses and be sure they are connected snug. If the hose is off you will get the symptom you are experiencing, car starts but then RPM immediately drops and it stalls.

If you don't want to put the air box on yet, remove the MAF from the box (two clips) and put it into the intake hose and clamp it. Try now.

Based on what you stated, the clicking noise means battery. If it started with a jump start then that means your battery is notmproviding enough power. Probably got drained after multiple attempts. Also recheck that the connections on the battery are tight (no movement whatsoever). BMW is really picky about this. Recharge or replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering if the sensors got fluid in them then why would it start when I moved it to the end of the driveway?

I'm thinking it has more to do with the maf so I'll go through all that again and report back.

Thanks for the replies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts