BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I dont actually own one, but im a BMW lover and im considering buying one.
I have one in sight for a fair price.

Problem is, the guy is telling me the car is misfiring, that it runs fine but starts missfiring on "neutral positions".

He also says its an injector leaking fuel, that it would cost £60 the part and arrount also £60 for the fitting.

Anyone has any advice on this?

Is this something i can do by myself? If i buy the part? I have no car mechanic experience, only a bit of motorcycle, but im guessing with all the youtube videos available, can't be impossible, but need an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Even if i dont buy this one, i'm really considering an e46 so had to start here :evil:

·
Registered
248 Posts
You really must get codes, now if that injector has an external leak then it probably is not the cause of the misfire? I just went through a P1353 code and checked, that plug, coil, harness to the coil and eventually found a vacuum leak at the CCV drain hose. An injector may cause a misfire but E46 Fanatics do not recommend blindly throwing parts at a problem!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your quick replies and help.

I will try and check it out.

But just for once, assuming the guy is honest (like i know i am and believe it or not, most people are), would the cost be something like what he said?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Hello all!

I dont actually own one, but im a BMW lover and im considering buying one.
I have one in sight for a fair price.

Problem is, the guy is telling me the car is misfiring, that it runs fine but starts missfiring on "neutral positions".

He also says its an injector leaking fuel, that it would cost £60 the part and arrount also £60 for the fitting.

Anyone has any advice on this?

Is this something i can do by myself? If i buy the part? I have no car mechanic experience, only a bit of motorcycle, but im guessing with all the youtube videos available, can't be impossible, but need an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Even if i dont buy this one, i'm really considering an e46 so had to start here :evil:
Replacing an injector is easy. So that being the case the injector, if that's the issue, is nothing to worry about. However, I strongly advise you to take a scan tool with you, plug it into the car and read for yourself what trouble codes there might be. Also read the fuel trim values. Don't let teh seller know in advance. If you do he might just plug his own tool in and delete all trouble codes before you get there. So that would be a waste of time. Fuel trims are important as they give you information about the general condition if the fuel supply condition. If you have a leaking injector, for example, I would expect the long term fuel trims to be high and negative on whatever bank the faulty injector serves. You are looking for short and long term fuel trims for both banks. So that would be four values. If this is a 6 cylinder engine. Just two values if a four cylinder engine. I wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a run and then scanning it first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you guys suggest a cheap scanner?

Is the BMW scanner 1.4 still usable?

I was trying their website but seems down... Found some on ebay for around 30$

Thanks

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Can you guys suggest a cheap scanner?

Is the BMW scanner 1.4 still usable?

I was trying their website but seems down... Found some on ebay for around 30$

Thanks
All you need is an OBD wifi adapter. Something like the EML327. It's cheap and works well. Obviously it's not the same standard as your average BMW multi-thousand buck job but it give you what you are going to need. Once you have the adapter then all you need is a phone app like OBD Fusion or Torque Pro. I have both. These only cost a few dollars one off payment. So you can be reading and clearing codes and monitoring fuel trims like a pro (well, almost) for just about $20 all in. This is probably the cheapest option if the pennies are a bit tight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diagnostic...2AJNG0PBYR9&psc=1&refRID=RGMTM73282AJNG0PBYR9

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,782 Posts
All you need is an OBD wifi adapter. Something like the EML327. It's cheap and works well. Once you have the adapter then all you need is a phone app like OBD Fusion or Torque Pro. I have both. These only cost a few dollars one off payment. So you can be reading and clearing codes and monitoring fuel trims like a pro (well, almost) for just about $20 all in. This is probably the cheapest option if the pennies are a bit tight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help.
Just ordered one, will be here tomorrow and bought the torque pro app already.

Hope everything will be ok.
Actually that one is asking for a lot more money now that he swapped the fuel injector and the turbo seals (that he didn't told me about earlier)

But i will definitely get a BMW so...

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a follow up.
The OBD works perfectly with torque pro on my wifes 2004 VW Passat 1.9TDi.

I didnt get the BMW i was talking about, buit ended up buying another one.
2006 BMW 320 CD ES (Coupe) and im loving the car so far, will post pics on the appropriate thread.

................ Ok, just one :D

Thank you all for help! will be posting more in now for sure!
KR

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Just a follow up.
The OBD works perfectly with torque pro on my wifes 2004 VW Passat 1.9TDi.

I didnt get the BMW i was talking about, buit ended up buying another one.
2006 BMW 320 CD ES (Coupe) and im loving the car so far, will post pics on the appropriate thread.

................ Ok, just one :D

Thank you all for help! will be posting more in now for sure!
KR
Looks great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts