E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear all over the place this can be done. i see that mite46 has done a sick m3 engin swap in a sedan but whats the chances of pulling of the v8 swap........... what needs to be done and is there MAJOR body modification.??? what would need to be pulled....the wiring harness, motor, tranny??????? rear............

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
a lot, you need to rebuild the eintire rear end to want to be able to sustain that type of power...........i plan on doing this sometime in the future

·
Mod Squad
10,004 Posts
shortyz918 said:
i hear all over the place this can be done.
What place?

There's no one that I can recall in my 4 years registered on this forum of 65,000+ members that has had this done. There have been pics of some people that have done this in Europe and then of course the Hartge H50, and who could forget the M3 GTR, but that's all I can think of.

So yeah where ALL have you heard this from?

Disclaimer - Not saying it's impossible or anything, I'm just saying no one here has done it.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
The forthcoming ESS TS would be far easier and cheaper and should produce very similar results. Well, except for that v8 exhaust note....

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
didn't hartage make an m3 with a v8 m5 engine like a year back...? i think i remember seeing something like that....

but the new m5 engine would be sick:drool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
i've seen the swap before.. one was in a wagon, the other in a e30 evo (somewhere in eastern europe i think)

I think one of the hardest parts is sourcing an engine.

·
Banned
1,951 Posts
russ330 said:
What place?

There's no one that I can recall in my 4 years registered on this forum of 65,000+ members that has had this done. There have been pics of some people that have done this in Europe and then of course the Hartge H50, and who could forget the M3 GTR, but that's all I can think of.

So yeah where ALL have you heard this from?

Disclaimer - Not saying it's impossible or anything, I'm just saying no one here has done it.
Actually, I think fallline motorsports in Chicago did this for a BMW Club racer. There was a thread about it around a year ago, IIRC. IT was a full on race-build, with motorsport chassis, etc...
But that's the only one I've heard of on this board so far. :dunno:

·
Mod Squad
10,004 Posts
Bim Growl said:
Actually, I think fallline motorsports in Chicago did this for a BMW Club racer. There was a thread about it around a year ago, IIRC. IT was a full on race-build, with motorsport chassis, etc...

But that's the only one I've heard of on this board so far.
^Sure as sh!t I remember it, like you said it was a full race prepped ass haulin' machine. IIRC though didn't it use a stand alone engine management or something of the sort? :hmm:

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Save your money and just buy an M5 instead. The E46 is a nice car, but it's not spectacular in the least (*gasp*), and the E39 has merits of its own.

Seeing as well maintained E39 M5s can now be had for 30-something, sell your car and put up 20k in cash and you'll have the V8 and everything else that goes with it. And, unlike an E46 with an exotic swap, it'll still be worth something on the resale market a couple years down the road.

·
-not a mod-
21,062 Posts
There is a wagon in Germany with the E39 M5 engine in it. So it has been done. Also the Hartge guys have done it

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i would just buy an m5. happy finding:hi: look for a m5 engine in a euro salvage yard. than u can worry about the little things

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have seen an Ls1 chevy v8 in an e36 before. I'm sure you can put one in a e46, and it would be much much cheaper and you could easily get more power out of it. Plus parts would be much cheaper

·
Banned
1,951 Posts
russ330 said:
^Sure as sh!t I remember it, like you said it was a full race prepped ass haulin' machine. IIRC though didn't it use a stand alone engine management or something of the sort? :hmm:
Yeah, Dude was using Motec. Not only was it an M5 engine, but a fully built one no less. They had to use dry sump lubrication to make it fit. Otherwise, it'll fit in the engine bay, but it's too tall, and you wouldn't be able to close your hood. The way that they built it, they modified the oil pan, so the engine could sit lower. Lower center of gravity this way, and the engine is sure to be constantly lubed, even in the tighest corners.

Oh, and for the guys say just throw in the E60 M5 engine: It would be physically impossible to put that engine in the E46 engine bay. You can however fit it in the E90 engine bay. Hartge has done that already too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In the latest issue of BMWcar there is an article about this kind of swap. Hartge put M5 engine into E90 ... so it should be also possible for E46... but it may be very expensive. The cost of E90 with M5 engine is ~100000 pounds (almost twice as much as 2 M5). This car has actually 550hp and lots of other goodies (carbon parts, upgrades in suspension brakes, speed limit increase to over 300km/h etc.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts