BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I received the E89 DCT transmission crossmember and it does look like it will work great, just a fyi.
This is excellent!!!

Are you using a spacer between transmission and block or not? Just to make sure we work on the same total length and order that crossmember!

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Slow but steady. Mechatronic unit being installed in the transmission along with the wiring and the plug. Took longer as not all wires came connected (per pictures) and the instructions weren't clear which side of each solenoid to solder into (2 points per solenoid). We were send clarifications today, so we expect tomorrow to have this soldered, sealed and with new filters & oil.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Finished cabling inside the DCT. Car is at the lift (finally) to remove whatever is left from the manual controls (clutch slave, hydraulic lines, gearshift mechanism (rogue engineering SSK), knob (illuminated version), pedal). and also seal the hole in the transmission tunnel. I'd like to keep things as clean as possible and avoid interference and confusion with the new parts.

Also got this

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
So, engine is in, along with the DCT. For the DCT cooling lines, we used the cooling lines from an automatic gearbox which apparently bolt on and pass through the various parts of the vehicle and end-up on the front. From there we will use the Setrab oil cooler. Regarding cross-member my mechanic decided to make his own. The part mentioned here that would fit is not available from BMW so I'd had to order it and wait about 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Driveshaft sorted. We are reusing the rear half part as it is to connect with the differential and have modified the front half part of an E46 automatic driveshaft to accept the huge flange out of an E92M3 driveshaft. The "benefit" is that the CSB is reused as it is, there is only 1 point of modification which makes balancing easier. The driveshaft is shorter obviously and only the thinner part of the tube has been removed - this is why the E46 auto was used, if we were to shorten the E46 manual driveshaft, the thicker part of the shaft would need to be cut.. Now some will argue about ability to hold power etc but I'm confident something else will probably fail way before the driveshaft or simply traction issues -- rear components are still 320ci based.

·
Registered
2004 E46 M3, 2010 LCI 335i Touring
5 Posts
I just read all of this in one go - best thread to find after just joining 👏 Epic thread, just when you think you've seen it all the internets throws out something else. I've joined just in time to see it run - looking forward to it and great work!! Now I'm tempted to do something similar in my 335 wagon 🙃

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Cheers!

Today the SMG E46 cluster arrived and plan on having it coded and mileage adjusted next week or so. The ECU bin file has been adjusted and checksum corrected to enable the warmup and shift LED lights on the cluster.

Still sorting the electrical connections for the GCU. Need to access canbus, grounds, power, switched power and also do the wiring for the shifter which is also controlled via canbus. When all solenoids in the DCT operate (not really possible) at the same time, the max current draw is 50A so I need to get power probably straight from the battery terminal under the hood.

Park lock module will be mounted near the existing handbrake and I will redo the whole area later with carbon fiber. been a dead space for me as I don't use cupholders. Waiting delivery of a 3d printer capable of 1000x1000x1000mm so 3d printing the entire center console is also a possibility -- anyone interested in this?

Haven't sourced the paddle shifters yet, once the car rolls it's the next in list after a carwash.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts