BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
That's going together very nicely!
I'm very impressed- that's a LOT of work.

It's odd seeing a flywheel with no friction surface...

One suggestion with the starter- use a plate or a ring for a spacer.
It'll be harder to fabricate, but the starter really needs the support
from the full flat surface, so the bolts clamp it and it's solidly supported around the perimeter.
I've had them fall off race cars...

t
Thank you! we will weld the plate on the bellhousing. Using again the thin sandwich plate as reference.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
It probably doesn't NEED to be welded, as long as it's hub- centric like a wheel spacer!

But if you're welding, then it'll never get lost, huh?

I'm getting the total jones to do this to an E34 wagon with a B30... or an N52.

t

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Just do it!!!

Some good news, GCU + Mechatronic + Wiring arrive tomorrow ready for installation with base software. Base software includes OEM-like gear changing times and rpm. Can be adjusted per needs i.e. for track days, drift etc. GCU provides usb-c & bluetooth communication.

Also no need for separate hard-wired park lock module control or additional button, we will re-use the "P" button on the M4 joystick to control it. GCU will integrate with canbus and also allows out of the box functionality to re-use the gear indicator on an automatic instrument cluster (or smg). So I need to get on with this rather quickly and may settle for an automatic cluster instead of going through the process of adjusting an SMG one, unless someone has done it before and knows how to get the various indicators, warnings, warmup lights, with the M54...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tested starter engagement today and flywheel depth on the dct input shaft, apparently both work as factory. The starter needs to move back by 25mm so the machinist will have tomorrow a proper spacer fabricated to do this.
Are you saying the M54 starter gear pitch merged or meshed equally with the M4 flywheel? Glad the flywheel depth worked out with the DCT tranny. I was very curious/concerned on this.... Keep up the excellent progress!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tested starter engagement today and flywheel depth on the dct input shaft, apparently both work as factory. The starter needs to move back by 25mm so the machinist will have tomorrow a proper spacer fabricated to do this.
How were they able to verify the engagement was correct without installing the transmission?

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Are you saying the M54 starter gear pitch merged or meshed equally with the M4 flywheel? Glad the flywheel depth worked out with the DCT tranny. I was very curious/concerned on this.... Keep up the excellent progress!!
We modified the M4 flywheel to have an M54 starter ring installed. This required a slight machining on the inside diameter of the ring as the M4 flywheel is very slightly larger in diameter than the M54 one. So essentially pitch is an M54 so, plug and play with the corresponding M54 starter.

How were they able to verify the engagement was correct without installing the transmission?
We did install the transmission on the engine, from the pictures above, it is fully bolted to place. The testing took place on an engine bench, didn't have the chance to take pictures of that setup though as I only get to go to the engine shop after I leave work so I miss most of the work done. The multi-spline ring on the flywheel goes all the way to the dct input shaft. They have a second DCT with cut sections from the bellhousing for visual inspection.

Clever machining work. Whoever is doing this is very good.
We'll need a tally up at the end to see the wallet damage
Definitely! I was weighing the options, which were the DCT conversion vs a 6-speed M3 box with an OS-giken clutch (clutch itself cost more than the DCT).

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
If you haven't sorted out the transmission mounting yet, I recently found out the E89 Z4 transmission tunnel appears to have the same mounting dimensions as the E46, so the DCT mounting hardware from that car might work

22316783303 and 22116777904 together

·
Registered
548 Posts
We did install the transmission on the engine, from the pictures above, it is fully bolted to place. The testing took place on an engine bench, didn't have the chance to take pictures of that setup though as I only get to go to the engine shop after I leave work so I miss most of the work done. The multi-spline ring on the flywheel goes all the way to the dct input shaft. They have a second DCT with cut sections from the bellhousing for visual inspection.
Ahh gotcha, that is what I was wondering. I have cut off a bell housing to do the same thing, just wanted to know if you found an easier way.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you haven't sorted out the transmission mounting yet, I recently found out the E89 Z4 transmission tunnel appears to have the same mounting dimensions as the E46, so the DCT mounting hardware from that car might work

Good find, this looks like it could be a winner, I am going to order one now.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Yeah it a good call! Wondering if the vertical transmission mount 22116777904 bolt holes would line up with the DCT holes. I was looking at the photos of both, but can't tell w/o trial/error. Let us know on that crossmember George. That's a good price at $60!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah it a good call! Wondering if the vertical transmission mount 22116777904 bolt holes would line up with the DCT holes. I was looking at the photos of both, but can't tell w/o trial/error. Let us know on that crossmember George. That's a good price at $60!
None are available in the US new. I found one on eBay and it is otw. The adapter looks like it is the same for all of the early close ratio boxes.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Finally the GCU (Gearbox Control Unit) has arrived, along with the software, wiring loom and mechatronics unit. Now it's straight ahead installation and go-live. The GCU can manipulate via k-bus the gear change indicator in either automatic or smg cluster, so I've decided to go with an E46 M3 SMG cluster with 40k miles that I found online. The steps will be to virginize the IC to get it aligned with the car, then sort the gear change and then sort the other stuff to make it fully operational.

More to come, I expect rapid progress from now on..

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
GCU is here, along with the modified mechatronic and wiring. Unfortunately it's a 3-day off (Sat-Mon) so serious work begins Tuesday morning. Also ordered new oil pan for the DCT and 2 filters. Better get fresh stuff inside. The oil pan is composite and is scratched from being dragged. If all goes well, during the next oil change I will upgrade to the billet version.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
E46 M4 DCT Conversion - 05/29/2020 Updated!!!

We may end up with E92 M3 driveshaft with modified diff flange depending on availability.

Project now is at a tidying up phase:
Car on lift, getting everything under the bonnet cleaned up, replacing all items of wear, new fuel lines both hard and soft, discovered a small bend at one of the fuel line, possibly road debris. Also replacing the insulation in the transmission tunnel, plugging the hole of the gear lever, getting a reservoir for the s/c charge cooler, and also working on the wiring. More to come next week.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts