BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Mini update.

1. Will be using the M54 starter, spaced back using aluminum spacer to align teeth with the M4 twin mass flywheel
2. Will be converting the 8-bolt crankshaft of the B30 to a 6-bolt version, to allow the twin mass flywheel to bolt on to. 2 out of 8 holes align fine, so the other holes will be filled & retaped. Machinist approach is to use bolts as fill material, plus 3mm of weld on top, smooth everything on lathe, re-drill to correct bolt pattern and create new thread and balance everything.
3. Will be pressing/welding the M54 starter ring on the M4 flywheel and balancing everything.

The above at about $200 which is much cheaper than any ready made OEM or not solution. Will post pictures of the finished frankencrank and frankenflywheel next week. Very curious to see the outcome.

I know that some might find this a bit unconventional but at some point I decided to let my engine builder decide the course of action/mods, reason being, he's taking the responsibility of making things work & warranty. My requirement is to have a reliable (to bmw standards) solution while balancing the costs.

GCU is being shipped at the moment with the modified mechatronics unit.
http://htg-tuning.com/#features

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Presenting the worlds 1st(?) 6-Bolt M54 Crankshaft bolted to an M4 genuine dmf with M54 starter ring. I assume the parts guy at the dealership would get a seizure from trying to figure out what happened :p

The machinist filled 6 out of 8 holes with 6 oem crank bolts, 3mm lower than surface, welded the remaining gap, smoothed everything on lathe, redrilled 6 bolt pattern (4 new holes basically as 2 already aligned) and made new threads. Bolted and torqued and balanced. Flywheel was cooled in the middle and heated around to release and press new starter ring in place. Had to be slightly machined.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Thanks!!!

What's next, next week:
Assemble everything together; put engine together, mount gearbox, align starter, basically sort all mechanical bits
Install the modified mechatronic unit (HTG will ship either today or tomorrow), then the HTG representative here will do the mating with the ECU (for the necessary signals)
Install engine+gearbox on car, sort the crossmember and driveshaft.
Startup, fine tune, and hopefully everything will work without a CEL or an exploding flywheel

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks!!!

What's next, next week:
Assemble everything together; put engine together, mount gearbox, align starter, basically sort all mechanical bits
Install the modified mechatronic unit (HTG will ship either today or tomorrow), then the HTG representative here will do the mating with the ECU (for the necessary signals)
Install engine+gearbox on car, sort the crossmember and driveshaft.
Startup, fine tune, and hopefully everything will work without a CEL or an exploding flywheel
Sweet, so you are basically done. :rofl:

Keep it up, interested to hear how the HTG turns out. :clap:

·
Registered
19 Posts
holy moly, finally a swap I could get behind, not one of those auto->manual simplicities.
Wish there was someone in the UK willing/able to mate the DCT to an M57

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I cannot wait to see this thing moving and smashing gears. The sound of an e46 shifting that fast will be heavenly.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting that IG page. It links to his other page https://www.muffu.fi/ which shows how to use Arduino to hack into e9x can bus data and to control a hella vnt actuator using pwm. Interesting stuff.
Super friendly guy, send him a message if you have any questions I'm sure he would help out.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Today is when Harry (B30) met Sally (DCT) for the first time. Following the fully engine rebuilt with lower CR and forged internals, we are now at the point of addressing the critical link between it and the DCT. The DCT slid straight to the engine and successfully mounted using the 4 main bolts. Too easy to be honest, as if they were made for each other. The modified M4 flywheel is also in place and now we are working on a spacer for the M54 starter. We need to push it back around 30mm. I will have the final measurements next week. This is because of the geometry of the M4 flywheel starter ring being closer to the block. Not much of an issue as 2 spacers or something similar can be fabricated.

Plan is to drill/tap to use all bellhousing bolts (not really needed but I'm OCD), start the engine on bench to make sure engagement is correct and then install the new mechatronic unit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well what can I say besides: extraordinary. Wow I am formulating ideas as I watch this prototype build and it's exciting.

Q: What is the plan for the gearbox rear crossmember?

a.) Use the ZF or GM auto tranny rear brace with e46 rubber tranny mounts
b.) Use the ZF or GM auto tranny rear brace with modified f8x tranny mounts
c.) Improvise by making a welded custom built crossmember with the M4 rubber mounts as is
d.) Improvise by making a welded custom built crossmember with any quality rubber mounts that will fit

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Seeing how the shop handles this, I see a completely custom crossmember being fabricated (at least that's what they did in their other builts). Next week when the car actually goes on a lift and not in the grass field next to the shop we will see the options :) They really have all of the possible engine/gearbox combinations so not too worried.

From my own pictures I see a potential clearance issue of the exhaust / gearbox so again we will need to see once it's on car. The DCT comes with a heatshield at that area which is good.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
That's going together very nicely!
I'm very impressed- that's a LOT of work.

It's odd seeing a flywheel with no friction surface...

One suggestion with the starter- use a plate or a ring for a spacer.
It'll be harder to fabricate, but the starter really needs the support
from the full flat surface, so the bolts clamp it and it's solidly supported around the perimeter.
I've had them fall off race cars...

t

121 - 140 of 177 Posts