BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently doing my homework in installing a DCT gearbox from M4 to my E46. Anyone done such conversion?

Parts needed (so far) -- updated list
1. N54 8-bolt flywheel Revised: M4 DMF with M54 starter ring
2. DCT gearbox
3. Control unit, going with standalone
4. Driveshaft, going to adjust existing one to correct length - used E92M3 flange on E46 front-half automatic driveshaft
5. DCT gear lever, paddle shift,
6. Lcd display to be installed on the instrument cluster - Revised: E46 M3 SMG Cluster, gear indicator change via k-bus
7. New: park lockout module
8. New: M4 gearbox mounts Revised: E46 mounts
9. Mod: Converted 6-bolt from 8-bolt M54 crankshaft
10. New: Gearbox oil pan + primary/secondary filters
11. Crossmember: Custom made

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ive not heard of anyone doing a DCT swap. Seems like it will be complicated to get 135 transmission computer to talk to M/S54 DME...

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission will run from aftermarket standalone TCU, which will also control the paddle shifts and the OEM shifter. The transmission is from 135i or the F80 M54 both will mate the M54 block with very minor mods (according to research), although the 135i is preferable due to better ratios.

Coincidentally, today SLG (seems legit garage) posted about prepping a complete DCT kit for the E46! So even more excited now.
"Time to put a 7speed in everything...for less than a 6speed and a tripledisk!
Paddle shift the world. Clutch kick on demand! Best of both worlds."

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, this sounds exciting! I loved the DCT in my 335is.

Maybe you just configure the DME, ABS, wiring, etc., to be like a typical manual transmission car and see how it goes?
My car is already a typical manual.. with a very jerky 5-speed getrag that has seen 2 engine upgrades and from n/a 2.2 to 8psi 2.2 and 10psi 3.0..

The project has already started, depending on parts availabilty the duration will be defined. If SLG does eventually offer a "kit" I'll probably go that route.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You may need to change the gears in the diff, dct cars use 2.78 gears so the transmission must be geared very low.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very ambitious project. Gave up on 6-speed conversion?
Seemslegitgarage will offer a kit, bolt on. Maybe I'll do the driveshaft bits locally.

This will be done on 2 E46, at the same time, both with the ESS kit, one being an auto (built engine from VAC/transmission) and mine. Gonna be a first here where I live anyway :)

Yes, gave up on the 6-speed, too much hassle for 1 extra gear.

upgraded dct pan prototyped

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Wowser- the standalone controller is a neat idea.

As to diff ratio, the 2.93 from the 5- speed is probably fine.

I want the FULL MANUAL DCT- 2 clutch pedals and everything!

hee

t

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
He's using a standalone transmission controller, the busses won't care. As far as the rest of the car would be concerned, he's still driving a manual.
Missed that. Bummer for me. Someone successfully did N55 with the auto conversion, but I assume there was some communication between the DME and EGS. I know my buddy would this swap in a heartbeat

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the shifter, will it be paddle shifters only?
Or, will you retrofit an SSG, SMG, Steptronic, or other shifter?

If the stock shifter well becomes empty, moar cupholders? :excited:
Ideally I'd like to use the actual dct shifter. anything but empty and as close to OEM look as possible.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
3.38 here
Interesting- I'll have to look next time I'm under there, but
my 330ci with 5 speed has a very tall final drive. It makes the car awkward
in city driving, but keeps revs below 3k at anything below fully
illegal motorway speeds. I THOUGHT it was a 2.91....

t
still wants two clutch pedals.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,141 Posts
Interesting- I'll have to look next time I'm under there, but
my 330ci with 5 speed has a very tall final drive. It makes the car awkward
in city driving, but keeps revs below 3k at anything below fully
illegal motorway speeds. I THOUGHT it was a 2.91....

t
still wants two clutch pedals.
It looks like yours has a 2.93, at least according to this Chinese veggie.
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

And....you could make the one clutch pedal actuate both clutches, since it knows where the next gear is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
DCT 7 speed - Highly Interested

I hope that this is a viable option for the e46! I just sourced a ESS TS2 and am adamantly about moving in this direction. I was about to pull the trigger on the ZF tranny due to aftermarket performance upgrade but this is way more exciting if it works. Very excited and all in.....but I do have 3.64 LSD. I don't care to switch - risk/reward at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope that this is a viable option for the e46! I just sourced a ESS TS2 and am adamantly about moving in this direction. I was about to pull the trigger on the ZF tranny due to aftermarket performance upgrade but this is way more exciting if it works. Very excited and all in.....but I do have 3.64 LSD. I don't care to switch - risk/reward at the end of the day.
If my engine didn't have an issue I'd probably had finishied this project by now. Seems that a plug-n-play package is going to be available soon

1 - 20 of 176 Posts