E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just got my PSS9 kit installed last week and noticed that my xenons no longer auto-adjust. There is only about 15 feet in front of me that lights up at night.

I called my dealership because i was due for oil change anyways... they tell me that there is nothing they can do other than adjust my xenons via the knob on the back of the housing to its max height - which it already was they said.

Right now they have the leveler disconnected and the adjustment to its max.

Has anyone else experienced this problem!? I find it really hard to believe that this is the case. I had H&R springs on before and the leveler worked perfect with the drop - these coilovers arent much lower and I would believe there shouldnt be a problem.

Any owners out there with the kit please let me know what you did and how your lights work now.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just called Doug at TurnerMotorSport and confirmed this is not how it works... he said more than likely they put it in backwards or something...

so - rather than going back to the dealership or the place it was installed I am going to do this myself this weekend....

anyone have the link to some pics or a how-to to help me out here?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found the piece and its not attached to my control arm at all... I think the actual sensor and level are okay though... anyways... I did a search and found pics of the sensor, but mine is completely different... anyone have pics from an M or would be kind enough to take off their passenger front wheel and snap a pic of the sensor and what not?

pleeeeeeease....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the PSS9's installed on my car and my auto leveling still works perfectly. It is very easy to damage the sensor while working on the right front side. I had to adjust my xenons manually after the install, but only because the light didn't reach as far due to the entire car now being closer to the ground. They were leveled automatically, but being that the car was now lower and still level, the lights aimed at the previous height which was now a bit too low.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for writing back - I jacked the car up and found that they never attached the arm back on, however, I am running into some problems now that I have it back on...

basically the bottom ball joint is being squeezed between the control arm and the box above it when I lower the car back down... yeah, the level works, but I don't think ball joint is supposed to be smashed in the middle like that...

what I really need is some pictures of how the level should look setup...

I attahced what I got now - horrible picture though

this is a picture from below the car - when i remove the jack the level becomes squished in-between the control arm and the box above it... I dont think this is how it is supposed to be... I have never heard of any problems with the PSS9 kit except broken levels which are then replaced and work fine... anyone that can give me some help would be appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
From that angle of the picture it is a bit hard to see exactly what's going on, but if I remember correctly the arm of the sensor should be rotated 180 degress pointing towards the front of the car. I honestly don't remember right now, but I'll gladly take a look for you tomorrow. I'll post some pictures if the weather permits.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you could get some pics of yours that would be GREAT...

right now I have mine pointed towards the back of the car because that is the way it was setting when I took the wheel off - I assumed thats how it went...

pics would clear everything up and surely get everything fixed...

I would owe you big time...

·
Registered
609 Posts
i have pss9 too,but eh i dont know if i have this problem or not tho...grr:yikes: but seems like my sister's 330CI has this problem, the headlight only go in front of car about 15 feet, and i just adjust the head lgiht level tho...maybe i should check out my sister's car ,she got FK coil tho,can we just put the sensor back on ourself?is this DIY job as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had the PSS9's on my car for about a year and the self leveling has worked fine the whole time. However, I didn't slam mine... only lowered by about an inch. PM me if you still need a photo and I'll see what I can do for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was mistaken..... As you can see from these pictures, the arm points towards the back of the car. For some reason I remembered it the other way around. Oh well.....
Anyway here are the pics.... Btw, my car is on max drop.

·
name's PHIL
5,946 Posts
i'm confused............where exactly is this piece cause even my auto leveling thing doesnt work after my KW suspension installation, but i dont have an M, just a regular 325i

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
marx - thank you a ton... I have the arm on right but the clip is on different than yours... I bet if I change the clip then that will change the way the arm moves around...

I'll post pics later today after I get this all fixed... thank you a TON... I think we should mark this post up somewhere on the howto since soo many people are having this problem...

thanks again everyone...

·
Registered
174 Posts
morrow95,
No problem! Glad I could help out! Let us know if you're able to get them to work.:thumbup:
Mark.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just got back from a little partying - lights work perfect now - tomorrow I am going to make some minor adjustments to the fine tuning behind the housings...

anyone now which way is up and which is down? i am guessing clockwise is up for both...

marx - thanks again - huge help there and i really appreciate it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts