E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys on my way to santa monica after the J&J sub meet on 3-23-03, on the 405 freeway, there was this guy in a Camaro and i noticed a Z 28 badge on the lower right side of his trunk. and i din't really pay attention to that car until he keeps stepping on the gas like 4 times. think he's trying to get my attention or something. He even pulled up his hand and start waving through his sunroof.

my question is, what is the stats for that car?
anyone ever raced one of those?

thanks

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
Its a 305 hp V8, i'm not that sure so don't hold me to it. I believe it does 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds or so, but you should not have any problem showing him what a german inline 6 engine is fully capable of.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Double Vanos said:
Its a 305 hp V8, i'm not that sure so don't hold me to it. I believe it does 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds or so, but you should not have any problem showing him what a german inline 6 engine is fully capable of.
i see. but that time my gf was sleeping in the car so don't want ot wake her up, and hte freeway was kind a crowded that afternoon so it's not safe at all.

tanks for your reply

any more info guys??

·
917 Posts
60mph and higher it will pull harder than the M3.. so don't mess around with it.. just a free-flowing exhaust makes it up to350trq. Crazy pull..

·
Registered
145 Posts
ya it'll beat you unless it is an Lt1, after 98 they had the LS-1 engine which is a detuned corvette motor (but dynos pretty close to vette) They are low 13 high 12 second cars stock, it would beat an m3 for sure with a modded exhaust or intake, stock it would be drivers race but in the end teh Z28 would come out on top!:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
damn the M could use at least 300lbs of torque:sad:...F-Body cars are sick they were designed for drag unlike M which is track so dont go messin around with them..but yea it is a driver race with those...just watch out

·
Registered
145 Posts
stock the Z28 will still beat the m3 if they had the same drivers, if not the Z28 would still pull it by the end of the 1/4 up till top speed. It's a fact that those Z's are underrated.

:tongue:

·
Registered
917 Posts
There is no way a stock Z28 can beat an M3. I beat a V8 Firebird and they are basically the same car. You should beat it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
what year was the firebird? if it is post 98 then the guy doesn't know how to drive, the cars weigh about the same and the camaro/firebird have a little more torque and power ;) :tongue:

·
Registered
632 Posts
well it all depends if you raced a 6 speed or an auto, thats a huge difference. it also depends what yr it is. if its a 99 or above be careful, with a good driver they are easily low 13 even high 12s. and if u were to race one from 3rd gear on i dont think a stock M3 would take it.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Fast or not, it's still an ugly a$$ ******* sports car and that's why he was alone and you had a chick riding with you! That makes you an INSTANT WINNER!

·
Registered
507 Posts
klangford said:
Fast or not, it's still an ugly a$$ ******* sports car and that's why he was alone and you had a chick riding with you! That makes you an INSTANT WINNER!
'

This is sooooo true the only car remotely I would take along those line of cars is a Z06 vette and that is about it!!!...Those F-Body cars are the ugliest pen!s lookin rides made and the interior is aweful...just plain cheap!!..Yes they are fast but that is about it, a ******* sports car!!!:D:D

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,661 Posts
depends on the YEAR

the camaroes came out in 1967. the z28 came out in 68 or 69.
the tran am came out in 69.
the 69 z28 had a low compression 302 engine. but around the early 70ies. they had a 454 engine with the 1970 chevelle they had a 454 engine. that with the headders off from the factory gave you 500 horse power. that also came in the vetts to they had.
the 1967 corvette engines
327 300 hp at 4,000rpm 360 of tq at 4,000comp.was at 10 to 1
327 350 5,800 360 3,600 11 to 1 L79
427 390 5,400 460 3,600 10.25 1 L36
427 400 5,400 460 3,600rpm 10.25 to 1 L68
427 435 5,800 460 4,000 11 to 1 L71

454 engine came with depends on the yr with 345,360,390hp

a 427 engine with a 435 hp could do o to 60 in under 5 seconds.
with street tires of the day. only car that was faster than this vette. was the street legal mustang cobra that came with a race engine.

if it was a old z28 1969 to mid 70ies.. the early one 1969 had a low compresion engine. with usually a 411 rear end. they could push 400 horse power very easy. early ones had up to 454 with the camaroes. and (tran ams. had a 455 ram air engine. car flew
i know i had one. the tran am could handle pretty good for its day to.

they had lots of horse power with matching tq. engines once they hit the eighties. cars slow down. if it was one from the 1990es i would go for it
bobm3 ;) ;)
IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING. WHERE I GOT THE INFORM.. I HAVE A BOOK WITH THE LIFE OF AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS. FROM THE EARLY 50IES TO THE EARLY 70IES

·
frequent tire purchaser
635 Posts
The M3 will take a stock 93 -97 (LT1) camaro in the 1/4, but if it's a 6 spd and your on the freeway..... forget about it. Nothing can keep up with them on the freeway..... I know because I have one, but it's no longer stock. :D 98 and up is LS1 powered and is a force to be reckoned with. They are rated at 305HP, but I have a friend who owns a 2002 and he was making 317HP at the wheels when it was bone stock..... talk about under rated.
Don't get me wrong, I would surely take the M3 if you gave me a choice between the two..... I just wouldn't go hunting GM performance cars in it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hahhhahah

klangford said:
thanks for the compliment man, but i have always like BMW design, except the ones that's by bangle:lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
54 Posts
a friend of mine has a SC'd Z28. i take him off the line cuz he can't get traction, but he usually ends up ahead of me by 2-4 car lengths by the time we hit 80-90mph.

but the sad thing is that his car is SUPER loud and he claims he's pushing over 400hp, but he can bearly (in my eyes) take me.

Safeer

·
Registered
507 Posts
vrracr said:
a friend of mine has a SC'd Z28. i take him off the line cuz he can't get traction, but he usually ends up ahead of me by 2-4 car lengths by the time we hit 80-90mph.

but the sad thing is that his car is SUPER loud and he claims he's pushing over 400hp, but he can bearly (in my eyes) take me.

Safeer
If he knows how to drive and what he is doing LT1 or LS1..he should beat you by like 6-8 car lengths..I have seen a few of those at the track and they pull fricken hard and can run low 12's all day long!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts