BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if anyone had owned or driven both cars b4? If so, which ride is the better bang for the buck (i'm talkinga bout the whole package...ride, performace, speed, handling, etc.)

Just to let you know, I think the M3 is the better looking one for sure (I'll prob get shot for that). I've just always loved the look the M3 had, since the E36. The E46 is like a 3 series on steroids.
And I LOVE IT :yikes:

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,435 Posts
I don't know about the M3, but ask Officer Cartman, he could give a run down of a Boxster compared to Murcielago:rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really?

mc said:
I don't know about the M3, but ask Officer Cartman, he could give a run down of a Boxster compared to Murcielago:rolleyes:
Boxster vs. Murcielago? Isn't that like David vs. Goliath? EXcept Goliath will win.:confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have driven both of these cars, I may be biast towards the E46 but I love the M3. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Porsche but was not impressed with the interior, it handles great. I am also kinda tall being almost 6'3" and couldn't handle driving the boxster there just simply was not enough room. I would take the M3 any day over the Boxster. Just my .02's though. Brad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brade46323 said:
I have driven both of these cars, I may be biast towards the E46 but I love the M3. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Porsche but was not impressed with the interior, it handles great. I am also kinda tall being almost 6'3" and couldn't handle driving the boxster there just simply was not enough room. I would take the M3 any day over the Boxster. Just my .02's though. Brad.
Tks Brad,

Was your M3 and E36 or E46?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Comparison w/ E46 M3 coupe or vert? My opinion is based on coupe.

Value - M3 coupe (better resale value + lower price)

Prestige - Boxster S (to the avg person, "it's a Porsche")

Performance - tie (M3 coupe for acceleration, Boxster S for handling)

Interior - M3 coupe (materials & build quality)

Exterior - tie (completely subjective)

Bodystyle - M3 coupe (newer, theoretically not due for redesign until 08 model yr vs. 06 model yr for Boxster S)

Reliability - Boxster S (from Consumers Report)

Safety - M3 coupe (more features std, & some air bags n/a on Boxster S at all)

So, IMO, the M3 coupe is a better value, is faster, has a superior interior, newer bodystyle, & features more safety equipment. The Boxster S has more prestige to the avg person, is a better handler, & has a better reliability record.

If it was me, I'd get the M3 coupe (but not M3 vert over Boxster S)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jp323i said:
Comparison w/ E46 M3 coupe or vert? My opinion is based on coupe.

Value - M3 coupe (better resale value + lower price)

Prestige - Boxster S (to the avg person, "it's a Porsche")

Performance - tie (M3 coupe for acceleration, Boxster S for handling)

Interior - M3 coupe (materials & build quality)

Exterior - tie (completely subjective)

Bodystyle - M3 coupe (newer, theoretically not due for redesign until 08 model yr vs. 06 model yr for Boxster S)

Reliability - Boxster S (from Consumers Report)

Safety - M3 coupe (more features std, & some air bags n/a on Boxster S at all)

So, IMO, the M3 coupe is a better value, is faster, has a superior interior, newer bodystyle, & features more safety equipment. The Boxster S has more prestige to the avg person, is a better handler, & has a better reliability record.

If it was me, I'd get the M3 coupe (but not M3 vert over Boxster S)
well noted, plus I think the M3 looks meaner.

babbit: i think he meant m4

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
babbit said:
Wow...are u sure the M3 coupe(or is it M4?) isn't due for a redesign until 2008? Isn't that quite a long time?
No, I'm not sure. The reason why is logic would suggest around then.

Considering the E36 M3 didn't come out until the E36's 4th yr of production, & the E46 M3 didn't come out until hte E46's 3rd yr of production, the next M3/M4 isn't going to come out until around the 08 model yr (next-gen 3/4-Series 3rd yr of production).

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
I would rather have a M3 prices are about the same, accerlation is better on the M3 but Handling is obviously better on teh Boxster but you get 4 seats witht he M, thats why I would get it

·
F22C1
973 Posts
gonna have to say boxster..nothing like a convertible in sunny california
unless its your only car then i'd say m3
:eeps:

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
nothin liek a vert in sunny cal? thats why u can get a m3 vert.. duh.. i've drivien a boxster, kinda slow if u ask me. i have yet to drive an e46 m3.. anybody wanna let me? :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tpzblu330ci said:
I would rather have a M3 prices are about the same, accerlation is better on the M3 but Handling is obviously better on teh Boxster but you get 4 seats witht he M, thats why I would get it
Good point. And I suppose the M3 would make a better daily driver too.

Tks for all the feedback guys.
If you like, pls read my post on lowering/slamming too.

Tks again

·
F22C1
973 Posts
jun14scr said:
nothin liek a vert in sunny cal? thats why u can get a m3 vert.. duh.. i've drivien a boxster, kinda slow if u ask me. i have yet to drive an e46 m3.. anybody wanna let me? :D
if BAVM3 cherishes handling a lot, the boxster is the easier choice when comparing m3 vert to boxster. the m3 vert is a hog compared to boxster.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think this comparo has already been done (Car and Driver?). Saw it on TV but anyway, the comparison was between M3, BoxsterS and Z06 if I'm not mistaken. Z06 wins almost all categories (acceleration, braking, slalom, etc.) but the M3 was chosen as best, presumably because of intangibles like styling, rear seat. Boxster routinely placed 3rd and I think it was bested by the M3 in the slalom, or at least close enough that you couldn't make a statement that the Boxster kills the M.

Sorry about the vagueness of this post but I remember seeing the show and was surprised the M was picked over the Z. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts