BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to do the subframe reinforcement on my car and replacing the bushings. The shop recommended to use the OEM bushing instead of the polyurethane since I’m not racing nor tracking my car. Is it true? Also replacing the suspension with yellow Koni+ eibach springs since mine are all leaking. Are Konies better than Bilstein ? Better set up ? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMO, OEM is the better way to go, the poly bushings will be stiffer making it even harder on your chassis and yourself.

I only have experience with Konis yellows. I enjoy them thoroughly however, on my M3 I have the koni/dinan setup since mine has the dinan S1 package and feel it is a bit stiff for daily driving. Alternatively I have the Konis with H&R springs on my e39 540/6 and they have to be near 175k+ (255k on the odometer :D) on this setup and it's still smooth and comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow, that’s pretty good ! Thanks for the info. I’ve tried to switch to the poly but the mechanic didn’t like the idea. I thought the poly can last longer than the OEM and didn’t know about the ride quality

·
Registered
12 Posts
The poly can last longer but in reality I don't think there is anything really wrong with the OEM from what I understand. Maybe someone with more expieriece with polys will chime in. I only used some poly in my sway bar bushings that ultimately just slowly broke apart, had them in my FCABs as well but didn't particuarly like it.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If you have subframe reinforcement done go for solid bushings from CMP auto engineering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you 0-60, the reinforcement is being done at RRT starting today as well as RTAB and FCAB. They’re highly recommended OEM bushings so I’m just going to go with that. So far just a few spot welds broken and no cracks. I’m also upgrading the suspension with the B12 Bilstein. Can’t wait to see the car. Got to save up for the bearings now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The general rule on subframe bushings is harder the better. NVH is not a problem even with solid bushings. In any case if you are not tracking it doesn't matter. Get whatever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oem bushings for a street only...less NVH at lower engine speeds in the higher gears. Lugging in third gear for example, there should be little or no buzzing of the rear parcel shelf.
I tried konis, admittedly with the stock springs and the rears were harsh, hard to dial in. The car felt like it was poggoing.
went with bilstein b6 with stock springs...miles better but the car looks comically high. I don't track any more so ride comfort is more involved in my choice.
I have no input on the H&R as I have only used them on E30 and VW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts