BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 2002 manual BMW M3 for sale close to me for $7000 Canadian with 220000km. The car is in mint condition aside from one issue. The car stalls when put into neutral at highway speeds. The owner has not provided any other details other than a full walk around of the car idling for 5 minutes with no hiccups and showing no lights on the dash. The owner says this happens at highway speeds. The only modification that I can see is done to the car is an aftermarket K&N cold air intake. What might be the issue? Is the fix costly?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not a clue, but it does mean that there is something wrong with the car and that it should be fixed. He said when he goes on an off ramp, I don't think he really knows how to drive stick in all honesty. In an emergency situation this could be a dangerous issue.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Probably basic maintenance required. My guess is O2 sensors and spark plugs are probably original.

ICV probably needs to be cleaned as well. While the M3 engines have less vacuum leak problems, there could be one contributing to the problem.

While this thread is not really for the M3, many of the items do cross over other than the CCV and DISA as I recall.

Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

I would also inquire if the fuel pump and filter has ever been replaced, I have found the M car fuel pump do have problems typically earlier than the non M cars. With the age and miles on the car. I would expect the fuel pump may have been changed by now?

IMHO this should not be a show stopper, but it may be indicative of other maintenance issues not being addressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read online that it may have something to do with the aftermarket intake installed and the possibility that the mesh screen in front of the MAF was not correctly installed. Could this be the problem child? The car runs fine at idle when stationary and at slow speeds so it shouldn't be the fuel pump? Or is the car maybe getting more air than the fuel pump can handle? It seems like a stupid good deal to me, probably be able to beat him up on price a bit more as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much would the whole professional treatment cost? If it is anything like the VW dealership in my region I am in for a fun time. :banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts