BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but no luck,,

i recently bought 02 m3 smg. took it to dealer for subframe check. he mentioned i have couple of recalls to be done..(i know ther eis smg recall but dealer said nope, not smg.) some software recall he said.. takes about 1 day for it to be done..

is there a link or anything i can check what recalls are on 02 m3 smg till date?

thanks..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Emission recall was done on mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Huhuh not interested LOL

Just got rid off my cats...installed headers and AA tune.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Probably the emissions recall. I don't know why they'd tell you it takes a day though, mine took a couple hours at most.

·
Registered
411 Posts
2002?

Depending on the manufacture month there could be a rod/bearing recall on it?

I'd be surprised if that has not already been done already though..

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am wondering whether or not the catalytic converter recall applies to my car. My service engine soon light came on recently (at about 43k miles). When I took it to my mechanic to have it checked out, he told me that the fault code indicated that it was precisely the fault that had triggered a recall notice (emissions) relative to the catalyst, and that I should take it to the dealer, since BMW is required to foot the cost of the repair. I went on line to see about the recall, but the recall appears to cover only M3's with the SMG. My car has the 6 speed manual. Does anybody here know what the deal is here?

David
M3/Audi A8/Mercedes C280/VW Passat

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,806 Posts
anyone have the paper work that came with the completetion of the emission recall on the m3?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I am wondering whether or not the catalytic converter recall applies to my car. My service engine soon light came on recently (at about 43k miles). When I took it to my mechanic to have it checked out, he told me that the fault code indicated that it was precisely the fault that had triggered a recall notice (emissions) relative to the catalyst, and that I should take it to the dealer, since BMW is required to foot the cost of the repair. I went on line to see about the recall, but the recall appears to cover only M3's with the SMG. My car has the 6 speed manual. Does anybody here know what the deal is here?

David
M3/Audi A8/Mercedes C280/VW Passat
I believe there is a federal law which states that all MFGs must pay for cats that fail before 8yrs/80K.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is it, and this one seems to cover all models with all transmissions:

SI B12 22 08
Engine Electrical Systems August 2009
Technical Service
This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B12 22 08 dated April 2009.PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS. designates changes to this revision SUBJECT
Voluntary Emissions Recall 08E-A03: M3 S54 - DME Reprogramming for Catalyst Conversion DiagnosisMODEL
E46 (M3) Coupe and Convertible with S54 produced from 05/01 to 09/06SITUATION
The DME programming, as originally installed, may cause the OBD diagnostic to erroneously evaluate the efficiency of the catalytic converters. Consequently, the "Service Engine Soon" lamp may be illuminated with fault codes 178 ("Catalyst conversion bank 1") and/or 179 ("Catalysts conversion bank 2") stored in the DME control module.This diagnostic software error would not cause any driveability problems.In order to remedy this situation, BMW is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign to reprogram the DME control module (and SMG control module on SMG 2 equipped cars) on all affected vehicles. In addition, for MY 2002 and MY 2003 vehicles up to April 2003 production, the emissions warranty for the catalytic converters of the affected vehicles is extended to 10 years / unlimited miles. A copy of the customer letters are attached.AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Recall Campaign involves MY 2002-2006 M3 Coupe and Convertible vehicles with S54 engines, which were produced from 05/11/2001 up to 08/24/2006.In order to determine whether a specific vehicle is affected by this Service Action, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.The chassis number ranges listed below are only for informational purposes, and are not to be considered the only deciding factor.Model
Chassis Number Range
M3 Coupe
JR11938 - JR24998

PN55006 - PN66244
M3 Convertible
EX21578 - EX24996

PK00008 - PK12603
CORRECTION
On all affected vehicles, reprogram the DME control module using ISTA/P 2.33.1 or higher.In addition, the SMG control module has to be reprogrammed on all SMG2 transmission equipped vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2002 m3

DSilk56 - many thanks for your post. I was able to find the service bulletin you refer to and it appears to cover my vehicle. The dealer pulled cat error codes indicating bad cats. They never mentioned the bulletin leaving me to contemplate replacing the cats. (this was a few months ago) It's back in the shop now for an oil change. I've asked them to re-evaluate the "service engine soon" light. If they come back with a recommendation to replace the cats for a mere 3K+, Ill confront them with the service bulletin I now have and ask for an explanation of why this doesn't apply to my ride.
The DME reprogramming doesn't expire and the cat warranty was extended to 10 years, unlimited mileage. I have the S54 engine and my chassis number is within series. At the very least they'll have to reprogram the DME. Ill argue for that and replacement of the cats (this is the last year of the extended warranty) since they may very well recommend cat replacement before we have the confrontation.
Wish me luck and thanks again for your post!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i took my car to one indy repair shop and he printed out the same thing drill78414 posted .... then took that paper to the dealer and they said that my car was approved for the warranty , took an appointment and when i arrived he said they made a mistake and now there is no warranty!!:S ... what should i do , should i go to a different dealer or contact someone?

·
Registered
31 Posts
A techical service bulletin is NOT a recall, and does not have to be done by the dealer

·
Registered
56 Posts
which recall/sib are you trying to do? if it's the SI B12 22 08 emissions recall, then it is covered. How do I know? b/c I just got this done at the BMW dealership. Only BMW can perform these recalls and they never expire.

i took my car to one indy repair shop and he printed out the same thing drill78414 posted .... then took that paper to the dealer and they said that my car was approved for the warranty , took an appointment and when i arrived he said they made a mistake and now there is no warranty!!:S ... what should i do , should i go to a different dealer or contact someone?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts