BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed recently. I'm currently in the process of shopping for cars and have been considering a used E46 M3. I've been looking in autotrader at prices and it seems like most people are asking way over KBB value for their cars. I also see these cars have been listed for a few weeks now so it doesn't appear as though people are actually paying those prices for them.

My ideal car is one with < 25k miles, preferably not a 2001. Laguna Seca Blue, 6spd. Navigation isn't that important to me. How much could I expect to reasonably pay for a car like this? What options on the M3s affect the price the most?

Also, since the E46 generation of the M3 is going to be going out of production shortly do you guys expect the prices to drop in the near future?

Thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Marlin Liew said:
Also, since the E46 generation of the M3 is going to be going out of production shortly do you guys expect the prices to drop in the near future?

Thanks.
New M3 won't be out until probably 2007 as a 2008 model (new sedan comes out in 2005 as an '06, new coupe in '06 as an '07, new M3 in '07 as an '08). So that isn't going to affect the price much for awhile.

KBB and Edmunds are pretty close to what you're probably going to pay unless you get really lucky and find someone who needs to unload their car. Don't pay more than KBB/Edmunds, but don't expect to pay much less. Of course KBB and Edmunds are just tools, they don't actually sell cars, so they can say anything they want and it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Market value really is whatever the seller is willing to sell for and the buyer is willing to pay. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
E46 Prices

A comment on E46 prices. I've been looking for a used E46 330Ci with a manual transmission for a while. I've wondered about the accuracy of the KBB, Edmunds, and other online pricing guides. It occured to me that the sample size for 330Ci's with an manual transmission was very small because most of the cars are 325's not 330's and better than 80% are with auto or steptronic transmissions. I talked to somone in one of the services about how they presented their data and they revealed an interestiing fact. All of the 330 data was lumped together and they merely subtracted a fixed amout to compute the predicted value for a manual transmission car. If you have been trying to buy or sell a manual transmission BMW you know this is a bad prediction. The market for manual transmission BMWs is different then that for those with automatic transmissions. It's more quirky and unpredictable. The cars tend to sit on the market longer, on average, and they go for less, on average, compared with the book value, than the automatics do. I could speculate onwhy this is true, but I won't. Take this into account when you are looking for a new BMW. The more unique it is, the longer you usually have to spend looking to get what you will probably consider a "good" price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sold my 2004 E46 M3 for $46,000 just about a week ago. I did have a few serious buyers but most were just tire kickers. I have been watching the prices of the 2004 for quite some time and my price was on the low side but not by much. It just depends on if you really want to sell the car. Here is my take on pricing (and my car had many options with only 4000 miles) with no mods:

2004 - $45k - $48K
2003 - $42K - $48K
2002- $38K - $42K
2001 - $32k - $38K

Obviously, the mileage is a factor and anything over 8k a year I would consider high. And the rod bearing issue continues to cloud the price of cars made in that range. As far as the new model I believe that the prices will drop an additional 5-10% when it comes out over and above the normal depreciation. Personally, I was very disappointed in the E46 compared to the E36 and E30. I kept the car for only 5-6 months becuase of that disappointment. So, if the new 3 series brings back some of elements from the E36 and E30 the E46 prices will suffer even more. Those elements were handling, nimbleness, weight, responsiveness and a certain character that defined what a true mid size sport car should be. If you notice, the three series has lost its status as "the" car to define its class. If that is brought back with the new three - watch out!!!!

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,719 Posts
advantage said:
I sold my 2004 E46 M3 for $46,000 just about a week ago. I did have a few serious buyers but most were just tire kickers. I have been watching the prices of the 2004 for quite some time and my price was on the low side but not by much. It just depends on if you really want to sell the car. Here is my take on pricing (and my car had many options with only 4000 miles) with no mods:

2004 - $45k - $48K
2003 - $42K - $48K
2002- $38K - $42K
2001 - $32k - $38K

Obviously, the mileage is a factor and anything over 8k a year I would consider high. And the rod bearing issue continues to cloud the price of cars made in that range. As far as the new model I believe that the prices will drop an additional 5-10% when it comes out over and above the normal depreciation. Personally, I was very disappointed in the E46 compared to the E36 and E30. I kept the car for only 5-6 months becuase of that disappointment. So, if the new 3 series brings back some of elements from the E36 and E30 the E46 prices will suffer even more. Those elements were handling, nimbleness, weight, responsiveness and a certain character that defined what a true mid size sport car should be. If you notice, the three series has lost its status as "the" car to define its class. If that is brought back with the new three - watch out!!!!

:werd:

I have seen some 2001s go for under $30k.

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
advantage said:

2004 - $45k - $48K
2003 - $42K - $48K
2002- $38K - $42K
2001 - $32k - $38K

:werd: I've been shopping for an M3 beater and I've seen a few low $30k but have a ton of miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm looking at an 01 right now (prem, xenon, HK) with 37k miles for $35k. No accidents, 2 owner, all records... Seems like a great deal to me, any other thought welcome!

·
3,719 Posts
ryank said:
I'm looking at an 01 right now (prem, xenon, HK) with 37k miles for $35k. No accidents, 2 owner, all records... Seems like a great deal to me, any other thought welcome!

kinda high with those miles. oh...I'm sorry, is it a vert?

·
Registered
35 Posts
10chi said:
kinda high with those miles. oh...I'm sorry, is it a vert?
M3 coupe. no vertable. Really? $35 is high? kbb has them at 35, but I see them listed in the $40's....coupes that is.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i didn't see much m3's that are in the low 30 - 40 range.

I got my 2003, 14,000 miles. fully upgraded without 19 inch rim or navigation, for 49,995$.

I kinda got ripped off a bit, but it had the 100,000 mile warranty along.

·
Registered
281 Posts
'04

xkrnxnamjahx said:
i didn't see much m3's that are in the low 30 - 40 range.

I got my 2003, 14,000 miles. fully upgraded without 19 inch rim or navigation, for 49,995$.

I kinda got ripped off a bit, but it had the 100,000 mile warranty along.
Ive got one that I am looking at, its a '04 convertible with 4000 miles on it. It also has everything except NAV. It has SMG and 19 inch wheels and Lojack for 49K. Im trying to get them to go to 47k. Its priced at 50K right now and that is KBB wholesale. What do you guys think should I pull the trigger at 49k?
Thanks. Ive been patient and shopping for over a year and this one seems like it will fit the bill but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
tv330i said:
Ive got one that I am looking at, its a '04 convertible with 4000 miles on it. It also has everything except NAV. It has SMG and 19 inch wheels and Lojack for 49K. Im trying to get them to go to 47k. Its priced at 50K right now and that is KBB wholesale. What do you guys think should I pull the trigger at 49k?
Thanks. Ive been patient and shopping for over a year and this one seems like it will fit the bill but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
That's a good price! $47 would be a killer deal - even $49 is a deal!

·
Registered
35 Posts
tv330i said:

Thanks
Woa...4k miles, is it a demo?...ie. romped on for those first 4k miles?? If so, think of how it may have been driven during it's break-in period...

·
3,719 Posts
ryank said:
M3 coupe. no vertable. Really? $35 is high? kbb has them at 35, but I see them listed in the $40's....coupes that is.

bro, if you got the patience and eye....you will find deals.

I saw several 2003 M3s with miles in the 5k-10k going for $42k-44k.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ryank said:
Woa...4k miles, is it a demo?...ie. romped on for those first 4k miles?? If so, think of how it may have been driven during it's break-in period...
No I checked it out with the owner he seems to be an anal car lover he said he just needed more space and comfort so he is buying a new 05 RL with 300hp with all the new tech toys. He said he did not like the rough ride of the M3. So you guys think 49k is good?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Also the area is a factor

Cars that sell in Idaho for example won't be priced the same in Washington, DC and can be off by thousands not hundreds. Even major cities there's a difference.

advantage said:

2004 - $45k - $48K
2003 - $42K - $48K
2002- $38K - $42K
2001 - $32k - $38K

·
Registered
295 Posts
Expect to pay over KBB. I haven't seen a E46 M3 listed at KBB yet. Look for one in good condition. If the car is cheap, it must of been damaged, tons of miles or in a bad area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Marlin Liew said:
I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed recently. I'm currently in the process of shopping for cars and have been considering a used E46 M3. I've been looking in autotrader at prices and it seems like most people are asking way over KBB value for their cars. I also see these cars have been listed for a few weeks now so it doesn't appear as though people are actually paying those prices for them.

My ideal car is one with < 25k miles, preferably not a 2001. Laguna Seca Blue, 6spd. Navigation isn't that important to me. How much could I expect to reasonably pay for a car like this? What options on the M3s affect the price the most?

Thanks.
I have looked around NJ NY area for used m3.
I only saw about 4-5 m3s with low mileage for under $40k. Most of which are private owners, maybe 1 or 2 are local BOB jones dealers. most of the below 40k m3s are LSB. It seems that lsb is the cheapest color other than green.

I have no idea whether people are buying them because I ve seen the same m3 on autotrader/cars.com for the past year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
tv330i said:
No I checked it out with the owner he seems to be an anal car lover he said he just needed more space and comfort so he is buying a new 05 RL with 300hp with all the new tech toys. He said he did not like the rough ride of the M3. So you guys think 49k is good?

I assume california should have the best prices for cars in general.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts