E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! Hey all, i'm trying to pick if i want a 335 or an m3. I know the 335 isn't a M regardless, but i cant chose between either. Reliablity/Cost of Maintenance information would be helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I disagree. When i saw a BMW that isnt M, im like Meh. alright, majority of people have it. But when you see an M, regardless of the year, its a %ucking M! its a machine and that little badge on that back has gained respect over the years. So, i would for the M.

As for the mileage, 50,000k is excellent, and so is 75,000. However, expect to change a couple things during the regular maintenance, but nothing too bad considering the car has a clean report. It all depends on your budget. The more money you have, the lower the mmileage on the M and the less maintance.

Choose wisely buddy. Ive seen e46 m3's look WAYYY nicer than e90 3 series. So dont let anyone tell you the other is better because it looks newer.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
^Has a point

An ///M will always be something special, hell just look at e30 M3's they're slow as hell and people still get 20k for them. The M3 will be worth more in the long run, but the 335 is much easier to make fast.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Drive both, then decide. A 335 will be more comfortable for DD'ing, but with that said my M3 isn't exactly uncomfortable. Do you plan on paying someone to maintain your car? Or are you a DIY'er? The M3 is way more DIY friendly, but if thats not your concern, go for the 335. It can be made to be faster than an ///M3 and better on gas. But for me, I had to have the M3. An ///M car will always trump a non-M. Good luck

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
It's really personal preference. When I drive a 335 after driving my M3 everyday, I hate it. It's not fun to drive at all compared to an M. However, if you want a comfy daily that's better on gas then get a 335. The only thing they have in common is the BMW badge. They are completely different. You really need to drive both and pick. I'm guessing an e9x M3 is out of budget? I saw one today with 34k going for less than 40 grand.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Also, im trying to find an e46 with less than 50k on it. Lets say i was to get one with around 75k on the odo. Do you think that would be too high mileage?
75K on the odo :rofl: High Mileage? Don't let mileage scare you on these cars. You just have to be smart and keep up on the maintenance & be sure your buying a well taken care of M3. Take it like this. Would you rather have a E46 M3 that was meticulously maintained and cared by from a enthusiast with 100K miles or a rich guy who didnt really care, didnt stay on top of Maintenance and put the car away wet?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, the cars are very far apart. I've driven both and it's hard to decide. The 335(2009-2011) looks really aggressive and is really, really fast. The M3 is an M and if it's well cared for is a beast of a car. How on top of maintenance are you usually? Do you really enjoy cars? Do you just want to start and go? I'll be honest, neither the 335 or the M3 are low maintenance. In fact, they both require an enthusiast type to take care of them well.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
yes, the cars are very far apart. I've driven both and it's hard to decide. The 335(2009-2011) looks really aggressive and is really, really fast. The m3 is an m and if it's well cared for is a beast of a car. How on top of maintenance are you usually? Do you really enjoy cars? Do you just want to start and go? I'll be honest, neither the 335 or the m3 are low maintenance. In fact, they both require an enthusiast type to take care of them well.
+10 :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
500 whp for $2500 = 335

500 whp for $7500 = e46 ///M

Having an ///M badge on the back? Priceless. Go with the m3 if you can afford to make it fast but if you need a fast car on the cheap get the 335

If you don't want to mod, buy a 328i and save the other two cars for people who will use them properly...

EDIT: both the 335 and m3 will break you on repair costs and if you need a shop to do the work, if you can't DIY stock up on anal lube. Because you're gonna get raped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.