E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanna lower my M3 about an inch, so should do i really need to spend all that cash on coilovers, or can i just get away with springs without making the car handle like crap? If so which springs are the best? Anything you guys can help with on this subject would be great. Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
279 Posts
you can get just springs...Tein, H&R, UUC, Eibach all make springs for the car....for just an inch all around, I would go with the Eibachs. Just understand that your shocks will wear out a lot faster causing a bouncy ride.

·
Registered
398 Posts
NateZ said:
I wanna lower my M3 about an inch, so should do i really need to spend all that cash on coilovers, or can i just get away with springs without making the car handle like crap? If so which springs are the best? Anything you guys can help with on this subject would be great. Thanks,
Nate
Excellent question. There are a couple of advantages to coilovers over springs - if they matter to you, then get the coilovers.

Coilvers can be adjusted independant of one another, in pairs or not, so you can customize the way the car feels based on what you expect to do. Depending on which coilovers you get, the adjustability may be only for the ride height (which has a tangible but small effect on the ride quality) or the adjustments may be made to the shocks themselves as to how they compress and rebound - a HUGE effect on handling. The coilovers I have on my car only adjust the ride height, and this can be done with a jack and about 5 minutes per corner - so I can take the car to a track, drop the corners to the lowest limits sacrificing some of the ride smoothness for the additional handling, and then, at the end of the day, raise the car back up to deal with the wonder that is California roads.

If you get lowering springs, you *should* get a set of shocks matched for them. Chances are, the OEM shocks will not be a good fit with the lowered springs as they are designed to do their job over a certain amount of travel and you've just cut that travel short - this is a downside to the springs setup - once you put them on, unless you have rather spiffy shocks, there is not much adjustment you can do.

Once you figure out what setup you'd like to try, do some searches in the forums. KW, Koni, Ground Control, H&R, Bilstein all come to mind as good starting points.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. i wanted to drop only about an inch, and not sacrifice too much on ride quality. found out that eibachs and koni yellows are the way to go... best bang for the buck. i ended up splurging and got pss9's. :D

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
NateZ said:
Nate
:search:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Dont waste your time on springs man... sooner or later you will regret it and end up getting coilovers like everyone else. Just get the coils, set the height and stiffness the way you like, and call it a day.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much are the eibachs and koni yellow springs shocks?
The only way i would be able to squeeze in some coil overs would be to buy used ones, just can't spend the money on new ones, want to do other mods too, and btw, i live in south florida, no real roads to really do any serious handling stuff, and i don't take the car to the track, and i dunno how much i would really want to adjust the coilovers anyway, should i still get them? Also, which coilovers are the best that have only hieght adjustment, i don't want to fool with dampning, preload, rebound and alll that, i road race motorcycles and it's a pain in the ass just to set up my bike, i don't really feel like doin the car too, lol.

Thanks guys,
Nate

·
Registered
390 Posts
NateZ said:
i dunno how much i would really want to adjust the coilovers anyway, should i still get them?
imo, yes cuz see below.

///M PWR 00 said:
Just get the coils, set the height and stiffness the way you like, and call it a day.
that's exactly what i did. i'm probably never going to touch the height and dampening again, but thought this was a better way to go. i can set the height to whatever i think looks good, and then set the dampening to whatever i think is comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.