E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Lots of people off this board are preferring the Dice Silverline iPod interface. If you would like to read about it more, check it out here:

New features of DICE SILVERLINE PRO Pod Integration kit include:
- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmitters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song
- Browse by Individual Playlist
- Browse by Individual Albums
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for all iPods (including iPhone & Touch models) through included dock connector

DICE - SILVERLINE PRO iPod Integration Kit for e46 3-Series/M3 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=1621

PM me for more info or any questions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
dude all you need is a stock business radio with a tape player(30 bucks) , then get a cassette to mini plug at radio shack(10 bucks)

·
Registered
310 Posts
i play my ipod all day with my stock cassette deck radio

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
dude all you need is a stock business radio with a tape player(30 bucks) , then get a cassette to mini plug at radio shack(10 bucks)
i play my ipod all day with my stock cassette deck radio
Yes, but the sound quality is greatly reduced as the number of "transitions" the signal needs to go through. The DICE unit is a simple install and the interface is very user friendly and complete for a retrofit. No way a "through the tape player" unit will provide the integration or sound quality, plus the DICE unit also charges the iPod as well so there's no jury-rigging with a separate charger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely steering clear of cassette adapters as the sat nav screen would need to be folded down to use it. Also the sound quality isn't great. The DICE system does look good though a bit expensive. I'm not too worried about showing track info on screen. Also I prefer the xcarlink adapter because it's installed up front rather than in the boot and running a massive cable through the car.

Has noone on here used the xcarlink system?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi cl4ncy

I had the xcarlink in my 2005 Z4. I couldn't fault it to be honest. It was a little difficult to install only because the instructions where not great, but once i found the US site the support was great and i installed it without a problem. Really good kit and i will be getting one now for my 330d. I'm also thinking i might get the blue tooth module and have hands free at the same price. It's very good quality and a very good price.

Adie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the xcarlink adapter as the salesman told me it would fit my car. After a few hours of getting the head unit out it turned out it didn't. They then told me I had to install it in the boot, but the iphone cable was only half a metre long so I scrapped that idea and sent it back. While I had the head unit out though I did wire up an auxiliary cable, which now lets me play my iphone through it. I've just bought a bluetooth receiver for £15 which I'm going to attempt to fit this weekend into the auxiliary input so I can stream my iphone to it. I'll let you know how it goes. Total cost, minus fitting time, £20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello guys,

i would like to connect standard mp3 player to my 2002 320ci. All i want to do is to find an aux connection no matter where available in the car and listen the songs from car sound system but control the playlist from mp3 itself not from the bussiness cd player.

Does anybody know what is the easiest way of having this connection? I have read in some forums that in the boot area there a standard 3.5mm aux input for cd changer install but on mine unfortunately i could not find this aux port. I also do not want to work with removing the cd player and make connection at back side. All i need is 1 easy aux connection from boot or somewhere else.

If somebody can help, would appreciate very much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my model there's an aux connection round the back of the head unit. You need to buy (or make your own) aux cable to fit though. I bought some parts from maplin to make my own. I have the sat nav unit but I think this article will help you: http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/aux-input-cable. As for making your own cds I think you can only play audio cds and not mp3 cds in your stereo so just burn the music to disk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my model there's an aux connection round the back of the head unit. You need to buy (or make your own) aux cable to fit though. I bought some parts from maplin to make my own. I have the sat nav unit but I think this article will help you: http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/aux-input-cable. As for making your own cds I think you can only play audio cds and not mp3 cds in your stereo so just burn the music to disk.
Thank you very much. This will probably help but only as pictured from the back of the player as i have no aux cable at trunk.

Regarding burning mp3 to play, sorry i wrote incorrect. I meant to burn audio cd's as my cd player can not read audio cd's that i burn but only original cd's.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make one -- doing it the cheap/jenky way is not what your BMW deserves.

<$20 in parts and a sleek, high quality audio solution.

http://sftf.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/e46diyaux/
Thank you again for the updated info's. This seems the best way to play mp3 but i have hessitation's to disasemble the console and take out the player from its place as i have never tried this before. But anyway, i will try to get these cables and give it a try as soon as possible. BTW, what is for resistor and capasitor? These should definately be attached to that cable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had the aux cable for a while now and am having some problems. It works fine as long as my ipod isn't connected to the power. As soon as I connect it up the stereo loses the AUX source. I've seen a lot of DIY cables have capacitors on. I wondered if this is why mine doesn't work as well. Has anyone got any advice about this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
What year is your m3 op? I upgraded my 2001 business cd player to a 2004 model and got the bavauto cord. Then I got the kensington cable that plugs into the bavauto cord and the cigarette lighter and then the 3.5 cable comes out and charges/plays your iPod/iPhone. I absolutely live my set up and it is clean because I hid all of the wires under the trim/sunglasses compartments. The sound quality is exactly the same as CDs and better than the radio and it charges the phone and looks clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What year is your m3 op? I upgraded my 2001 business cd player to a 2004 model and got the bavauto cord. Then I got the kensington cable that plugs into the bavauto cord and the cigarette lighter and then the 3.5 cable comes out and charges/plays your iPod/iPhone. I absolutely live my set up and it is clean because I hid all of the wires under the trim/sunglasses compartments. The sound quality is exactly the same as CDs and better than the radio and it charges the phone and looks clean.
Sounds like a cool set up. My M3 is a 2006. I just plug in the charger into the cigarette lighter if I am on long trips. Other than that, the 3.5 plug is good. And yes, sound quality is awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.