E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are a whole 22lbs. lighter. 12lbs up front and 10lbs in the rear. They make more niose under hard braking and they rattle pretty good at low speeds. I changed to carbon pads and steel brake lines at the same time so I also realized an extreme braking improvement and now there is NO fade at all.

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 Chalk Gray 992 Carrera C2S
2,601 Posts
tec548 said:
They are a whole 22lbs. lighter. 12lbs up front and 10lbs in the rear. They make more niose under hard braking and they rattle pretty good at low speeds. I changed to carbon pads and steel brake lines at the same time so I also realized an extreme braking improvement and now there is NO fade at all.
Is the rattle pretty noticeable? Did the carbon pads help reduce noise? 22lbs is pretty impressive! I'm going to have to look into these. Any pics?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The carbon pads squeel until the get warm. In parking lots or rough pavement going slow the rattle is very noticeable. It stops completely at about 30mph though. I think this was one of the reasons the US market didn't get them... we like our cars quite. I have gotten used to it and since it is because they are full floating rotors I am able to reason out the bother to myself. I don't have any close-up photo's of them. I can post some if anyone is interested.

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 Chalk Gray 992 Carrera C2S
2,601 Posts
tec548 said:
The carbon pads squeel until the get warm. In parking lots or rough pavement going slow the rattle is very noticeable. It stops completely at about 30mph though. I think this was one of the reasons the US market didn't get them... we like our cars quite. I have gotten used to it and since it is because they are full floating rotors I am able to reason out the bother to myself. I don't have any close-up photo's of them. I can post some if anyone is interested.
I'm very interested in pics. When you use the term "full floating rotors", how does that differentiate from the rotors that come stock on the car. What does the term "floating" mean? Forgive my lack of information or knowledge on this product. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The term "full floating" means that the actual friction surface of the disk floats on the hub. It is not manufactured as a single part. This is a two piece system. The rattle is caused by the rotor slapping inside of the caliper or the connecting rods (rotor to hub connection) while the brakes are not applied. I'm not sure which is the culprit of this design. I have had floating rotors before and they didn't make the noise that these do.

The benefits of a floating system are: 1) much less heat transfer to the wheel hub. 2) less warping because the rotor is not rigidly mounted, so the rotor can expand and compress with heating/cooling with less stress to the complete assembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.