E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just wanted a little feedback on what my problem can be. My Car (2002 BMW M3 Coupe) Ok so the problem is . . . . I tried unlocking my driver door and then pressing the button again to unlock the other door. The other door unlocked but the driver door did not. :banghead: When I try to unlock the doors while locked, I do hear an unlocking sound comming from the driver door as if something should have been unlocked, but the little pin doesn't pop up and the door remains locked. :banghead: I have to stick the key in the door and turn it to be able to unlock it! :facepalm:

The locking button inside on the center cosole doesnt unlock the door either. (only passenger door) the door will lock when you lock the doors, but the only way to unlock the driver door is to pull the handle from the inside.

·
Registered
2002 M3 Convertible
443 Posts
I think it's our 2002 cars. I like how my trunk releases I go to open it and nada. The button under the dash rarely works. I was just saying what poor quality it was yesterday to a friend. I'm staying subscribed incase someone has a solution.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Typically the GM5 or the lock actuators wear out over time. In your case it sounds like the actuator for the driver door is shot. If both doors were not unlocking I would say the GM5 is bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. Replaced the driver's door actuator and it is all good now. Hope this helps!!! By the way my car is a 2002.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks guys! Ill check the actuator n ill comeback and update on what happens! :( hopefully I can repair it soon! I hate seeing lights on the dash! I like having my car mechanically and physically at 100%! I bet you all agreee!!

S¡KES

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. Replaced the driver's door actuator and it is all good now. Hope this helps!!! By the way my car is a 2002.
had the same problem replaced the door acutator.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much do they run for $$$ OEM??? Is it an easy DIY???

S¡KES

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem here. Replaced the actuator and everything worked well.
It's a bit hard to remove it from the door. Check on the web for instructions. Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hey guys i tried the old 'squirting grease on it (not WD40)' it seems to be slowly but shurley coming back to life, over the last week it is working nearly every time.. :thumbup: obviously this is just a quick fix.. it may not last long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This needs a genius maybe, im completely puzzed...

Problem: Even though the drivers door of my e46 coupe is unlocked, it wont open (neither from the outside nor from the inside).

Extra info:
1). Surprisingly, suddenly at times it starts opening normally! but then after a short while back to the same problem (unlocked but not opening neither from the inside or the outside).

2). I unlock my car manually using the key (since the remote battery seems to be dead) but it unlocks fine and I've been doing it long before this problem.

3). The central lock only opens the passenger door and not the drivers door. However, this is recent and the original problem existed before this issue.

Any help what the problem could be? And what parts I need to change? ...something electrical or mechanical, or both :eek: ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's our 2002 cars. I like how my trunk releases I go to open it and nada. The button under the dash rarely works. I was just saying what poor quality it was yesterday to a friend. I'm staying subscribed incase someone has a solution.
Hey Julian, did you ever figure this out? You have to unlock both doors with the key fob or center button, then you can open the trunk at will. At least that's what works on my pos.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Having the same problem with my 330ci. I plan on replacing the actuator next weekend. Worst part is I can't manually open the door with my key!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1 Posts
Window Adjustment

Hey all-
Would the door lock actuator also be the cause of my driver's side window not going down the quarter inch needed before closing the door to fit under the trim? It never did this until recently, and it has only gotten worse. When this happens, my temp fix is to roll the window down to compensate before I leave the vehicle, but certainly a pain. :banghead:
On the same door, my lock will also only UNLOCK manually with the key even though it will lock electronically with the key (when the door is able to shut and window goes down on its own).

Any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts