E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have a 2004 M3 Convertible in silver with 90k miles, smg gearbox which has been off the road for 2 years.
sadly I can’t afford to get it running again so am thinking of selling but have no idea of it’s valuation now as it won’t start.
Just before I SORNed it, it had an issue where it wouldn’t start, I’d charge the battery then it would start, but after running for a while and switching off it would then not start, until the battery was charged again. Then it went into limp mode just before I layed her up. Now even with a charged battery it won’t start. EMR lights on dash. Battery is ok. Changed the salmon relay but no difference. Pretty sure it’s something electronic and relatively inexpensive hopefully to get running. But now of course after sitting outside for 2 years the brakes are rusted, wheels need refurbishment and bodywork needs work, all panels have minor dents and scratches and the interior is a bit shabby, especially the drivers seat.
Sorry for long post, but my neighbour wants to buy it off me but I have no idea how to value the car, if anyone can assist that would be great, or know anyone I might be able to take it to to get it running again. I’m in High Wycombe area.
Many thanks 😊

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think Alan is right on the money. Pre-Covid for my smg convertible running and driving I paid 4300, but had trans light and check engine light on. Sounds like the battery wasn’t charging and continued use and voltage loss might have messed with the immobilizer. I’d scan for codes to start and go from there

·
Registered
635 Posts
13k-18K
Font Art Symbol Electric blue Logo
in running shape in the UK but it sounds like you have 10K
Font Art Symbol Electric blue Logo
worth of work so I'd say anywhere from 3-8K Sterling. 5K would be a good mark to start with...ask you neighbor what he thinks it's worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys that’s very helpful, he keeps offering me £500 but I think he’s joking…..certainly won’t be taking that!
Forgot to say that I have plugged in a scanner and no error codes come up…..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Alan is right on the money. Pre-Covid for my smg convertible running and driving I paid 4300, but had trans light and check engine light on. Sounds like the battery wasn’t charging and continued use and voltage loss might have messed with the immobilizer. I’d scan for codes to start and go from there
Out of interest, how did you sort out the problem with your M3? Sounds very similar, transmission and engine light on too here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts