E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my car glovebox locked itself and CD/Radio functions on my widescreen satnav stopped working. I have since then sorted the CD/Radio functions out by disconnecting the battery. This however made my airbag light appear which I had to get resit from local BMW garage. Could not check fuses as glovebox was locked.

The problem I still have is that the glovebox is still locked and the key is not over-riding the locking motor mechanism. Key turns to all 3 positions but nothing happens. I have never locked it before and I had opened the glovebox the previous night.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Other posts have suggested that the locking mechanism just needs to be tightened via screws on the inside of the box when this happens. Not the case for me. Mine malfunctions intermittently and there are no electronics involved (01 330 vert).

New locking mechanism is around $125 I believe, but I have not researched any closer. Not sure if you can pull out the components that are specific to my key either.

Check the box now and then to see when it is not locked (if it frees itself) and tighten the screws once it opens. In the meantime dont keep registration and insurance card in there (assuming it opens soon).

Cops will open it for you during a stop but you may not like the way they do it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
the locking mechanism is going bad.. try pushing the box closed and at the same time use the electronic locks to unlock. That should take the pressure of the locking mechanism.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts