E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been trying to diagnose a rough idle, and a few other codes being thrown since picking up the car in May. Long story short, I wanted to check the ICV to see if it was stuck / dirty, to see if that was causing the problem. I got the ICV out, and it moved around like it should (give it a wiggle, and it will clank back and forth). Something still didn't feel right, so I plugged it in, and had a friend turn the ignition switch on a few times. From what I've read, I should hear a buzzing sound and possibly see it move, but I saw none of that.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way to test the ICV, to see if it is really broken? I read online that I can check the resistance where it plugs in, but it said the readings might be different for different cars, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWeze) for codes. The SES light is on only when an emissions related code is present. Go to your local parts store and have the DME scanned. Post the "P" codes.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,841 Posts
S54 engines and crazy idles are often a sign of the "vanos solenoid" unit. you might want to look into that. Search "Beisan" they have a fix for this and explain how to troubleshoot. sometimes the o-rings or the solder inside unit go bad. I'm not saying this is your issue, just that it's an issue on M3 S54s worth looking into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts