E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been trying to diagnose a rough idle, and a few other codes being thrown since picking up the car in May. Long story short, I wanted to check the ICV to see if it was stuck / dirty, to see if that was causing the problem. I got the ICV out, and it moved around like it should (give it a wiggle, and it will clank back and forth). Something still didn't feel right, so I plugged it in, and had a friend turn the ignition switch on a few times. From what I've read, I should hear a buzzing sound and possibly see it move, but I saw none of that.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way to test the ICV, to see if it is really broken? I read online that I can check the resistance where it plugs in, but it said the readings might be different for different cars, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
What have you found? It's better to go in with no pre-conceived results.

Edit: My spare M3 ICV measures -

11R2 between terminals 2 and 1.
10R2 between terminals 2 and 3.

21R7 between terminals 1 and 3.

I suspect some measurement error here but this is close enough to work with. The other air solenoid that connects to the idle circuit measures 24R9.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts