BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its still a work in progress, the engines not even close to being ready & LOTS of parts are still needed..... heres the progress so far

2004 325CI 5 speed

and this beast!!! 6.0L of GMC work van goodness, its a 2006 LQ4 looks so good you could almost drop it in just like this......

but didn't stay that way for long

the color gets mixed reviews.....

heres the LS clone all cleaned up, still getting pieces together... LSA water pump, LS6 intake, LS3 oil pan

the car is also getting a complete rear subframe assembly from a 2005 M3 coupe

theres going to be a ridiculous amount of care and attention in this build

a modest street cam will keep this engine more than interesting

thats it so far but still more to come........_a_

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow. Impressive build so far.
If I may ask, how much cheaper is building an LS clone as apposed to buying a true LS?? Horsepower difference??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Impressive build so far.
If I may ask, how much cheaper is building an LS clone as apposed to buying a true LS?? Horsepower difference??
up here (west coast of canada) REAL LS engines from salvage cars go for 4-5,000

i picked up the lq4 with all the truck stuff, wiring, ecu, starter etc for $500 from a guy that wrecks work vans

as far as HP and TQ goes..... you can make great power with an iron block

·
Registered
238 Posts
up here (west coast of canada) REAL LS engines from salvage cars go for 4-5,000

i picked up the lq4 with all the truck stuff, wiring, ecu, starter etc for $500 from a guy that wrecks work vans

as far as HP and TQ goes..... you can make great power with an iron block
The truck based engines are much cheaper and have great HP potential
What's the weight difference in the iron block vs the aluminum block. The aluminum block would offer close to oem weight distribution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the weight difference in the iron block vs the aluminum block. The aluminum block would offer close to oem weight distribution.
I've heard the difference between the 2 engines is 90-100 lbs the LS engines will run about 15 degrees cooler as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested in watching the progress in this. I have just became a BMW fan as I just bought my first one, but I have always been a Muscle Car junkie.

Here is a picture of my expensive weekend toy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also wanting to know how you are going to wire this in! I have a 330i sedan that will be getting the same treatment and i am tracking down all the wiring answers now! Custom made harness that keeps all the factory CANBUS stuff working for $1800 or is there a cheaper option?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey everyone,

After searching and searching i FINALLY picked up more pieces to this huge puzzle.

these are OEM GM parts, they're meant to go on an 06-07 cadillac CTS-V

- power steering assembly
- low mount alternator (150amp)
- idler & tensioner
- all gm mounting hardware

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also wanting to know how you are going to wire this in! I have a 330i sedan that will be getting the same treatment and i am tracking down all the wiring answers now! Custom made harness that keeps all the factory CANBUS stuff working for $1800 or is there a cheaper option?
Use LS3 for swap which runs factory GM canbus, or keep existing DME to run the accessories and dash and use a arduino based unit for the converting signals to the cluster and AC. (~$150).

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1887229-E46-Can-bus-project

You can find them on facebook under Can Bus Module, can buy one direct that'll make the swap easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Questions:

1. What will the car be used for? Road, track, drift?
2. Why did you go for the M3 rear end? for its LSD?
3. What swap kit are you getting? or doing custom fabrication for mounts?
after the swap, the car will be a nice weather driver only, just a mild street car

i used the M3 diff for its size and yes because its a LSD as well

i will be using either CX racing or Vorslaq for the mounts headers etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too would like t see any updates. Looks like you are doing a very professional job with this swap. Please advise what you did about wiring. Thanks fro sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts