E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 01’ 5spd 330ci and my drain plug recently fell out while driving. I have replaced the drain plug and attempted to refill my system but after filling about the entire resorvoir. It begins leaking from a spot behind the plastic cover that sits above the main drain plug. I first thought it was another plug that may have fallen out. But I can’t find any pictures of something occupying that space. Has anyone else experienced this same problem. Here is a provided picture of where the leak is coming from.
Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exhaust

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Hard to tell from your pic- are you talking about the block drain?

If it's coming down behind the exhaust,
the only thing up there,
I am sad to say,
is the head gasket...

But I would make VERY certain it's not blowing back off the front of
the engine- wrap blue towels around all the fittings and other likely
places, because water can get blown back a long way from a leaking
fitting at the thermostat...

t

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
my drain plug recently fell out while driving. I have replaced the drain plug and attempted to refill my system but after filling about the entire resorvoir. It begins leaking from a spot behind the plastic cover that sits above the main drain plug. I first thought it was another plug that may have fallen out. But I can’t find any pictures of something occupying that space.
You bought a wrong radiator drain plug -- an auto tranny plug and your car is manual. The wrong plug lets coolant flowing out at the radiator low left plastic port which normally supply cooled coolant to the automatic heat exchanger, and your manual car bracket has a nice big opening hole for this coolant to flow like a stream in the woods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts