E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car got broken into by some f%$ker.. lock damaged.. how much it would cost to replace the driver side door lock? an alarm system will help to stop this kinda break into?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
opelrsx said:
my car got broken into by some f%$ker.. lock damaged.. how much it would cost to replace the driver side door lock? an alarm system will help to stop this kinda break into?
Not sure about the cost to fix the damage, but as for the alarm, you need a radar type alarm that has a proximity sensor, like my Viper. Otherwise this type of damage can easily occur before your alarm ever goes off.

Another thing to do is get a driver's door lock blank and body colored cover, this removes the driver's door lock entirely, so thieves can't go though that way.

If a thieve looks into your car and sees a flashing light from a alarm, a club on the steering wheel, and no visible valuables on the seats, they will usually move on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
SD 328I said:
Not sure about the cost to fix the damage, but as for the alarm, you need a radar type alarm that has a proximity sensor, like my Viper. Otherwise this type of damage can easily occur before your alarm ever goes off.

Another thing to do is get a driver's door lock blank and body colored cover, this removes the driver's door lock entirely, so thieves can't go though that way.

If a thieve looks into your car and sees a flashing light from a alarm, a club on the steering wheel, and no visible valuables on the seats, they will usually move on!
No offense, but yeah, right!

Alarms don't do anything to stop a professional car thief. If it is just some jerk trying to steal stuff out of your car it MIGHT help, but probably not, since no one pays any attention to car alarms. Unless you have a paging alarm and are close by your alarm isn't going to do much. LoJack will help by tracking your car if it is stolen.
The best thing an alarm can offer is a starter kill. Really, if someone is determined to take your car, they will have it.

-Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Griptruk said:
No offense, but yeah, right!

Alarms don't do anything to stop a professional car thief. If it is just some jerk trying to steal stuff out of your car it MIGHT help, but probably not, since no one pays any attention to car alarms. Unless you have a paging alarm and are close by your alarm isn't going to do much. LoJack will help by tracking your car if it is stolen.
The best thing an alarm can offer is a starter kill. Really, if someone is determined to take your car, they will have it.

-Jer
True. But proximity alarms will help in detering a thief.
 

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
have the dealership code the alarm to go off when the key is used.....simple fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
opelrsx said:
my car got broken into by some f%$ker.. lock damaged.. how much it would cost to replace the driver side door lock? an alarm system will help to stop this kinda break into?
Just curious, whereabouts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
opelrsx said:
I have the alarm light flashing.. seems didn't help at all
Nah, it just deters some thieves. Basically they break in, make a quick grab and take off. By the time you notice and come out to kick butt, it is too late....they'll be long gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soundwave said:
Nah, it just deters some thieves. Basically they break in, make a quick grab and take off. By the time you notice and come out to kick butt, it is too late....they'll be long gone.
agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
opelrsx said:
my apartment undergroud parking garage
Ouch... Yeah, no ones going to see anything and thieves know it making it an easy target. (I usually avoid underground parking lots where possible)

Even with an alarm, I don't think anyone would have heard it or seen it given your situation. (assuming there are still good samaritans in Vancouver)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Honestly, alarms that only have the sirens don't really do much to deter thieves. Sometimes they only want to do a smash and grab for whatever valuables you might have in the car. In that case, you're pretty much out of luck there. Protect your investment by getting Lojack. I truly believe that's the only thing you can do. That and of course don't make your car a target to begin with by leaving valuables open for thieves to see. As for lock damage, the driver side lock delete is the best option. I had that done within a month of purchasing my car. The piece literally replaces the entired lock mechanism and not just a cover. Good luck with whatever option you choose!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Griptruk said:
No offense, but yeah, right!

Alarms don't do anything to stop a professional car thief. If it is just some jerk trying to steal stuff out of your car it MIGHT help, but probably not, since no one pays any attention to car alarms. Unless you have a paging alarm and are close by your alarm isn't going to do much. LoJack will help by tracking your car if it is stolen.
The best thing an alarm can offer is a starter kill. Really, if someone is determined to take your car, they will have it.

-Jer
I agree with your point, but I didn’t tell him that these things would prevent his car from being tampered with, but it will deter them. If you have a proximity alarm, along with a club and no valuables sitting on your car seat, they will move on to an EASIER target. That is what I was trying to point out. People tend to be lazy, and a thief, just like any human, tends to move on to easier thing if possible. Such as that other BMW sitting next to yours with no alarm and a compact disk case full of CDs!!!

Most thieves prefer to steal the stuff in the cars these days, so keep your valuables off your car seat. My Mom’s Grand Jeep Cherokee got broken into recently, they made off with her Pioneer CD and a CD case with about 100 CDs, ranging from Barry Manilow, to Filipino Karaoke songs (haha, we got the last laugh :p ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
SD 328I said:
I agree with your point, but I didn’t tell him that these things would prevent his car from being tampered with, but it will deter them. If you have a proximity alarm, along with a club and no valuables sitting on your car seat, they will move on to an EASIER target. That is what I was trying to point out. People tend to be lazy, and a thief, just like any human, tends to move on to easier thing if possible. Such as that other BMW sitting next to yours with no alarm and a compact disk case full of CDs!!!

Most thieves prefer to steal the stuff in the cars these days, so keep your valuables off your car seat. My Mom’s Grand Jeep Cherokee got broken into recently, they made off with her Pioneer CD and a CD case with about 100 CDs, ranging from Barry Manilow, to Filipino Karaoke songs (haha, we got the last laugh :p ).
I agree with you, and I actaully know of LOTS of people who have had their CDs stolen out of their cars (although I never did with an open top Jeep wrangler, somehow)

The thing about your proximity alarm theory though (if I am understanding what you mean by a proximity alarm) is that, while you think it will deter people, I think it will ENCOURAGE people to mess with your car because they "hate car alarms" I have witnessed people say this, and I would not have an alarm that beeps or chirps or says "Viper armed, stand back" for just this reason.

-Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
loosejuice said:
As for lock damage, the driver side lock delete is the best option. I had that done within a month of purchasing my car. The piece literally replaces the entired lock mechanism and not just a cover. Good luck with whatever option you choose!
you have more infos on that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I purhcased mine from http://www.bimmerfreak.com . In general good service, I have no complaints about them. They have a racing team so sometimes their email replies might be a tad slow, but they truly care about customer service. If you'd like, I can take some pictures of mine and post them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
loosejuice said:
I purhcased mine from http://www.bimmerfreak.com . In general good service, I have no complaints about them. They have a racing team so sometimes their email replies might be a tad slow, but they truly care about customer service. If you'd like, I can take some pictures of mine and post them.
That would be great, thx!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
opelrsx said:
That would be great, thx!
Here's those pictures of the key hole delete on my car. If you do plan on purchasing from bimmerfreak, ask for Jude the owner. He's been nothing but courteous with me and my order. I thought about purchasing the BMW alarm or even installing it myself, but to be honest I've had nothing but trouble with alarms with my previous vehicles. The proximity sensor is great, and the starter kill is also a great feature, but the best way is still to simply not make your car a target and that's by not leaving anything in the car that might attract thieves, and to not give thieves a way 'in'.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top