E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here and looking for some information from the experts..

I've searched high and low but am struggling to find out whether or not there is a route to getting some sort of OEM snap in phone cradle for the iPhone 4 in an E46 or not!

I've seen various posts about iPhone 3G/S cradle modifications, mentions of eject boxes & snap in boxes, murmurs of retrofitted base plates, eject boxes and much more but I can't quite put my finger on what all of these things are and mean!

So, i've formulated some questions below which is essentially what i need to know and should hopefully form a useful piece of information for anyone else looking for anything similar! Please answer and help if you can, it would be much appreciated!

1. Looking at the assembly that houses the phone cradle I think the following is true:

- the full phone docking assembly replaces what would normally be some cup holders and sits partially under the arm rest (where fitted).
- The assembly comprises two parts:
a) The part housing the "pairing" button which has a cavity for phone specific cradles to be plugged in. I believe this is referred to as the "Eject box".
b) The physical cradle which can be ejected and changed based on your specific handset model. I believe this is referred to as a "snap in box".

- Further to the above there may or may not be an additional part of the assembly called the "base plate" which sounds like it may be a wiring interface that connects with the eject box.

2. With the above assumptions in place, is there an iPhone 4 cradle (snap in box) for the E46 model range? I would assume not due to the age but worth checking!

3. If the above is not available, what are the options for OEM retrofit/aftermarket adapters for getting something up and running that will hold the iphone 4, charge it and connect it to the car aerial?

I would appreciate any help on any of the above that anyone can offer as i've spent the best part of a week googling this and i've got nowhere!

Cheers guys,

Aaron

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Electrically you can fit an iPhone 4 snap in.

Physically it won't fit because the phone+snap in is too wide. You have seen the 3G mod where some plastic is removed from the edges to allow the wider snap in. The same could be applied for the iPhone4, assuming the total width was about the same as the 3G.

Once it is fitted you would need the other active parts, BT anntena, ULF, possibly a GSM antenna etc. Google E46 BT retrofit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Electrically you can fit an iPhone 4 snap in.

Physically it won't fit because the phone+snap in is too wide. You have seen the 3G mod where some plastic is removed from the edges to allow the wider snap in. The same could be applied for the iPhone4, assuming the total width was about the same as the 3G.

Once it is fitted you would need the other active parts, BT anntena, ULF, possibly a GSM antenna etc. Google E46 BT retrofit.
Thanks for the reply!

Ok that sounds promising. Presumably the guide for fitting the 3GS snap-in is for the latest E90/92 snap-in boxes..? If so i'll be very pleased as it sounds like there's only one part to buy!

I've already got the factory bluetooth fitted - did you not realise that from my first post or is there something I need to change in order to use the newer snap-in's?

Also looking at the latest iPhone snap-in's there appears to be one called a "media dock". Any ideas if that would work from a wiring perspective or would I need just the phone cradle?

If I can get bottom this out i'll do a diy guide for fitting the cradle!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.