BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My name is Michael and I currently drive an e36 m3. However, I will be going off to college in the next week. Unfortunately, I can't bring my car with me. This has sparked some thoughts. My car is really in great condition (8.5/10 I'd say). But, it isn't the M3 I REALLY want. I was kinda hasty with the purchase. So, with this whole college thing, I've been thinking of putting my car on the market during my freshman year to see if I can sell it. If I could get a decent amount for it (hopefully around $10k), I would like to do one of the following: purchase the e36 m3 that I've wanted all along, or, buy an e46 zhp. I really love the e36 m3, but, honestly, its getting too old. There is definitely something to be said for the newness of the e46 platform compared to the e36 platform (materials, quality, rigidity, etc.). Also, I feel it somewhat of a waste to buy the same car twice. As for the zhp, I've always loved it. I test drove one before getting my M3 because I was torn between the two cars even then. My concerns with the zhp are the following:

1. No LSD. Will I notice the difference?? I don't really track the car. I'd love to in the future, though.

2. Power. The engine power between the e36 M3 and zhp is minimal, but is the zhp at a real disadvantage here?

3. Handling. I've read conflicting views. Some say the zhp even handles better than the e46 m3!!

Over all, I feel and have heard that the e36 m3 is a more raw car than the e46 zhp. However, I don't mind small compromises and trade-offs in performance and feel for newness and reliability. I just want my next purchase to be 100% worth it and for me to be 100% happy with my car. Any links, advice, or searching direction is welcome! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You should sell it, buy a honda, and use the rest of the money funding for booze the rest of your college years.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Where in Florida are you from?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sell the car and get a dealer to take you to the dealer auctions. or look aroud for a 8th gen SI or something like that those cars are pretty good.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Hey guys,

My name is Michael and I currently drive an e36 m3. However, I will be going off to college in the next week. Unfortunately, I can't bring my car with me. This has sparked some thoughts. My car is really in great condition (8.5/10 I'd say). But, it isn't the M3 I REALLY want. I was kinda hasty with the purchase. So, with this whole college thing, I've been thinking of putting my car on the market during my freshman year to see if I can sell it. If I could get a decent amount for it (hopefully around $10k), I would like to do one of the following: purchase the e36 m3 that I've wanted all along, or, buy an e46 zhp. I really love the e36 m3, but, honestly, its getting too old. There is definitely something to be said for the newness of the e46 platform compared to the e36 platform (materials, quality, rigidity, etc.). Also, I feel it somewhat of a waste to buy the same car twice. As for the zhp, I've always loved it. I test drove one before getting my M3 because I was torn between the two cars even then. My concerns with the zhp are the following:

1. No LSD. Will I notice the difference?? I don't really track the car. I'd love to in the future, though.

2. Power. The engine power between the e36 M3 and zhp is minimal, but is the zhp at a real disadvantage here?

3. Handling. I've read conflicting views. Some say the zhp even handles better than the e46 m3!!

Over all, I feel and have heard that the e36 m3 is a more raw car than the e46 zhp. However, I don't mind small compromises and trade-offs in performance and feel for newness and reliability. I just want my next purchase to be 100% worth it and for me to be 100% happy with my car. Any links, advice, or searching direction is welcome! Thanks guys!
I have had both. You'll miss the M3 at first, but it will soon fade. It isn't that you won't notice the absence of the LSD, but it's not that objectionable. If you drive another E36 after owning a zhp for a while, you won't miss it.

If you make sure that you have cleaned your injectors, done all tune up type things, changed the Vanos seals and the CCV, the ZHP motor is better. It's definitely sweeter and more refined, more "expensive" feeling. It's slightly down on torque compared to the M3, but when running properly it's hard to tell. The top end is not even a comparison, once the zhp is above ~4500 RPM it's insane.

Not to mention the zhp is easier to maintain, quieter and more refined, and has more sex appeal. The zhp stock and the M3 stock handle about the same, which to me is meh.

My zhp has Hotchkis swaybars, Koni shocks and Eibach springs, and it's an absolute beast on back roads.

The M3 feels more lumbering, basically, slower on its feet than the zhp, at least in comparison to my own.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had both. You'll miss the M3 at first, but it will soon fade. It isn't that you won't notice the absence of the LSD, but it's not that objectionable. If you drive another E36 after owning a zhp for a while, you won't miss it.

If you make sure that you have cleaned your injectors, done all tune up type things, changed the Vanos seals and the CCV, the ZHP motor is better. It's definitely sweeter and more refined, more "expensive" feeling. It's slightly down on torque compared to the M3, but when running properly it's hard to tell. The top end is not even a comparison, once the zhp is above ~4500 RPM it's insane.

Not to mention the zhp is easier to maintain, quieter and more refined, and has more sex appeal. The zhp stock and the M3 stock handle about the same, which to me is meh.

My zhp has Hotchkis swaybars, Koni shocks and Eibach springs, and it's an absolute beast on back roads.

The M3 feels more lumbering, basically, slower on its feet than the zhp, at least in comparison to my own.
Yeah "missing" my M3 would definitely be a concern. Having no LSD doesn't mean that only 1 rear wheel is spinning, does it? I read that somewhere and thought it was BS. As for the e36 chassis, it flexes A LOT. Just coming down from my condo driveway thing (decent sized hump) I can hear the car creaking and feel it bending.

Oh, and I'm in St. Pete.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yeah "missing" my M3 would definitely be a concern. Having no LSD doesn't mean that only 1 rear wheel is spinning, does it? I read that somewhere and thought it was BS. As for the e36 chassis, it flexes A LOT. Just coming down from my condo driveway thing (decent sized hump) I can hear the car creaking and feel it bending.

Oh, and I'm in St. Pete.
I don't understand what you're saying about the diff. Both wheels "spin" but when one loses grip, the DSC helps you instead of your limited slip. It's an okay compromise.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dude why are you making the LSD such a big deal? :rofl:

The E36 is a bit dated, don't give me wrong I prefer the ZHP. On the retail market you won't get a ZHP for 10k.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, the stuff I heard about the LSD is BS. I guess it's not a big deal at all. And I'm aware ZHP's cost more than 10k. Selling my current car would just be a stepping stone towards one.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I cant stand e36's... I'd rather drive a e30. It looks much much better.
save up some money and buy an e46.
I definitely disagree. well moreso i like all of them.

Certain e36's are really nice.

My brother has one identical to the one below and i love driving in it

You can't tell me this doesn't look like a fun car.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I definitely disagree. well moreso i like all of them.

Certain e36's are really nice.

My brother has one identical to the one below and i love driving in it

You can't tell me this doesn't look like a fun car.

The E36 M3 is a fun car.

That one is probably fvcked and doesn't handle nearly as well as it looks like it might. E36s have very little suspension travel, and unless they have substantially shortened strut housings or those Stanceworks coilovers, that car is either bone jarringly stiff or hits the bump stops all the time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That thing is slammed.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
:rofl: the 330-zhp doesn't handle nearly as nice as an E46 M3.

LSD are nice in that many people who have no idea what they do just think it's for take-off. but it's also for handling in and out of every turn. you may not notice what the 330-zhp lacks in handling but you'd certainly notice how better it feels with a LSD in.

there was a couple of very similar threads just last week on this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=859816&highlight=e36+m3

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=860568&highlight=e36+m3

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are we talking a coupe ZHP? I never got the whole idea behind that car (no offense to those who drive it), I would just rather buy an M3 at that point and get a MUCH better car all around. A sedan is a different story, but in the end I'd still rather have an E36 M3 over a sedan or coupe ZHP. It's honestly down to your own gut/choice, there's no right/wrong answer on this. Drive one and then decide?

About getting $10k on your M3, good luck. About getting a ZHP for that much, not impossible. I've seen a few ZHP sedans going for low teens and depending on the owner, you might be able to talk them down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts